Imagine what an impact this 264 meter/1.1 million sq. ft skyscraper is going to have in this area.:cool:

I am certain you are thinking of the built form impact, which is already huge! I can't walk in my nabe anymore without seeing Aura peeking from all corners. From my perspective though, I am hoping Aura balances the local demographic. The Yonge Gerrard area is currently loaded up with cheap eateries, but no patios, bistros, and few restaurants other than chains at Dundas. I'd have thought MET and Burano would encourage a shift, but the demographic in these condos is dominated by student/early career, and so the eateries persist. Bring on the upgrades! Oh, and bring back the hotdog cart...my Saturday morning breakfast hasn't been the same since construction started.

Just curious. When are you getting possession of your unit?

Last I heard I think was Feb 2012 but I have to check my last letters again. Which sucks because the residential units won't be in yet. Meaning it will empty for a while until everyone moves in. Traffic will basically come from ppl in college park 1 & 2. They are enforcing a rule to have all retail store to be up in running in 60 days after occupancy I think. I hope it gets pushed back until at least some residents are in already.

Last I heard I think was Feb 2012 but I have to check my last letters again. Which sucks because the residential units won't be in yet. Meaning it will empty for a while until everyone moves in. Traffic will basically come from ppl in college park 1 & 2. They are enforcing a rule to have all retail store to be up in running in 60 days after occupancy I think. I hope it gets pushed back until at least some residents are in already.

I guess it is just one of those things that you have to put up with. However, it won't be too long before the residents start to move in. In another thread, an individual who has a unit on 31 st floor, has indicated that his tentative occupancy date is towards the end of December 2012. Working backwards, I would say around April/May residents should start moving in slowly. Anyway, keep us posted with the developments.

From this weekend, I missed my train to get these shots! :p

498a.jpg

501d.jpg

502mo.jpg

All photos by me.

Finally! It seems we we stuck there for a while. Nice to see the third floor columns along Yonge.

Podiums always take forever to rise and this ones the biggest to go up since MLS.

not for certain, but i think One Bloor's podium could potentially be larger than this one. This podium only has about 4/5 floors, and there is a smaller structure on top (not sure if that counts), before main tower really starts. and yeah, this podium is huge, but MLS's is still bigger (in terms of square footage), MLS is huge....

wow... this towers footprint seems to be shrinking along yonge. i remember how long/huge the site looked along yonge, weird how the height plays a huge effect in perception .

More amazing to me...is that all it will take is four floors of the podium and RoCP will be almost completely wiped from the view at Y&G. (Much to many forum members pleasure.)

(Original image courtesy Jasonzed above)

Last edited:
More amazing to me...is that all it will take is four floors of the podium and RoCP will be almost completely wiped from the view at Y&G. (Much to many forum members pleasure.)

I'll drink to that!
Great line drawing today Traynor to give us an idea of the podium size here (wow), and the one for Trump, thanks!
I like the Aura project but I really hope they manage to attract interesting retail at street level or this is going to be a bleak area for pedestrians.

honestly, i would think the designers would stop the current floorplate at this level and then proceed to setback, so it lines up with the first setback of the College Park building in the distance, but that's just me,

and yeah, can't believe how fast ROCP is getting obliterated, those towers look insanely tall from Yonge/Gerard, and it's a scene that has become engraved in my mind, gonna miss that view a bit, but i can't complain about Aura! (hard to believe that this thing's highest point will be nearly the height of Scotia Plaza after height revisions, incredible)

Back