It is my understanding that when AURA/future direction of PATH was in planning stages, Delta Chelsea has refused permission to run PATH through their building.

Most likely because they didnt want to pay a penny towards it, let alone know if they will even be there in 5 years.

You really think someone is going to demolish a 27 storey building, five levels of underground parking, and 1600 rooms? You would need to cram three Auras on the site to make it worthwhile.

You really think someone is going to demolish a 27 storey building, five levels of underground parking, and 1600 rooms? You would need to cram three Auras on the site to make it worthwhile.

Who knows nowadays...Sutton and Four Seasons are going (although not to be demolished) same goes for the Hilton Garden Inn on Dundas to be razed
The Chelsea might one day have plans to keep the newer southern wing intact and always get rid of the mediocre rest..like i said, you never know time will tell.

If the Delta was bulldozed tomorrow I'd be fine with that, personally.

Not disputing the fact that the Delta Chelsea is not the prettiest building in town, however, it's a good service hotel, and the rates for a central downtown hotel are pretty amazing. Replace it and the rates will double. I actually like the old cow! :)

The Delta Chelsea is an excellent hotel... I've never had anything but good experiences there in the past when my family would be visiting Toronto. I also attach a lot of nostalgia to that building.

It's not a beautiful building, but I absolutely despise this attitude on UrbanToronto that buildings are so dispensable... what a waste! The building is relatively young and is a large, profitable complex. Do you really think another cookie-cutter Toronto design is going to be a better replacement for what's there? I'm willing to wait around longer, and for something much, much better. It's also very presumptuous about the hotel itself to want it replaced if you've never stayed there or recognized what a great hotel in a great(!) location it is.

Well, yeah, you have a point there. I admit my almost entirely aesthetic evaluation of the building is limited and therefore carries less weight than my post might have suggested.

Having good experiences at the Chelsea doesnt mean squat when it comes to them unloading it for development...im sure people have had just as good or better experiences at the Sutton Place and the Four Seasons and look at them now....unfortunately developers when purchasing sites dont look at any nostalgia attached or whats there, but what it could be.

You do realize that the Chelsea has more hotel rooms than any other hotel in Canada (as far as I know... or it at least has ONE of the largest total of rooms of any hotel here) and is highly profitable. It's not as expendable as you might think.

You do realize that the Chelsea has more hotel rooms than any other hotel in Canada (as far as I know... or it at least has ONE of the largest total of rooms of any hotel here) and is highly profitable. It's not as expendable as you might think.

Yeah i know that..im in no way pro demolition of the Chelsea, just stating that nothing down there is untouchable

today:

OMSbk.jpg

QM3Ut.jpg

3UqAg.jpg

WelQm.jpg

Back