Yea I guess that is a more accurate choice of words. Although I do think that the curtainwall section is impressive looking, I would describe the glazing of the building overall so far as adequate at most. When you factor in the couple thousand new residents, retail, and funds allocated to the adjacent park by Canderel, the impact on the neighbourhood should be enough to make up for lazy architecture....One thing that would have helped a whole lot is recessed balconies, but that ship has sailed

Lots of shots by me

7580551986_3c84447e25_b.jpg

7568207870_72e22c12a2_b.jpg

7564628330_619fbdde3a_b.jpg

7564974420_120d8ac566_b.jpg

7572753014_70c6a01e85_b.jpg

Last edited:
sMT:

When you factor in the couple thousand new residents, retail, and funds allocated to the adjacent park by Canderel, the impact on the neighbourhood should be enough to make up for lazy architecture....

No. Considering the developer asked densities that are way above building in the area, putting up a structure that has a significant impact on its' surroundings - if we can't ask for more than "lazy architecture", then pray tell, when can we ask for something more competent than this? Besides, the developer isn't giving anyone a couple thousand new residents, retail and funding out of charity - it is because there is money to be made. No 78s tower should be "mediocre", much less this bad.

AoD

Last edited:
Great shots cal
And Alvin: I guess it's just a simple difference in opinion

I'm still trying to imagine in my head, that this tower still has 50 floors to go, and the top portion will have that slick curtainwall cladding and a slick curve. This tower will form an amazing pinnacle or view point looking north from Dundas Square.

The mall, restaurants and outdoor patios are a nice touch, but the demarcation of Yonge and Gerrard is what this baby is all about.

I was in New York recently and, while looking at Gehry's 8 Spruce Street from the Brooklyn Bridge, I was thinking "Aura's going to be even taller than that. Impressive!"

Was looking at wikipedia and was amazed at how many high rise residential towers are planned for Mumbai. It's surprising that there aren't more buildings in the US (NY, Chicago) on that list, which is dominated by Dubai.

wikipedia: List of tallest residential buildings in the world

Last edited:
This will also dominate when looking south from Yonge/Bloor. It already looks quite imposing at its current height.

As a building it has a lot of flaws, but i will take an above mediocre 78s tower instead of a parking lot any day....so im biased

Oh Toronto. Always just accepting the mediocre instead of striving for better. Why have we become this way?

aura is gonna look amazing on the skyline...especially with L tower, one bloor, ice1&2, pier 27 and with parade1&2. the whole city will look amazing when all these projects are completed and dilled with tenants and owners.

end of fact

p.s. the more you watch buildings being built the more easier it is to pick them apart instead of just appreciating what man can do on little budgets.

Largest indoor swimming pool in North America by volume? Hmm, perhaps in a residential building or by some other definition. There are plenty of indoor Olympic pools (even right here in Toronto, i.e. UofT Athletics Centre) that have massive volumes.

Oh Toronto. Always just accepting the mediocre instead of striving for better. Why have we become this way?

Well said. And Canderel wants to build yet another mess just up the street at College & Yonge? When is the city going to learn? No rezoning at 460 Yonge, let them cry to the OMB and make the case for the crap they've thrust upon the downtown so far. Maybe (hopefully) this will get a little better when it gets to the curtain-wall section but so far this building makes me angry when I look at the photos or walk by it.

I took a look at the Wikipedia Page of the tallest residentials..

From a design perspective Aura ranks near the top design wise right there with the New York and Chicago stuff. The Dubai and Mumbai buildings are mostly over the top crap. Even the Australian projects are garbage, which was surprising to me.

what materials should buidings be using.. im kinda confused as what you all means by buildings using crap materials.. what is considered to be good materials to you guys? gold plating?

Back