. A Share
Flying In And Over Toronto this morning from Nework NJ From Vacation.

People go to Newark for vacation?!

interesting to see a 400ish square foot unit in the basement going for $2700/month..

$2700 + taxes, maintenance & I can't figure what "I" stands for but it's really more like $3700 which is a lot of nails to do, hair to cut or bootleg DVD's to sell in a small space.

"I" stands for insurance....

Yeah, I considered taking Porter last summer for my NY trip but eventually chose an AC flight flying from Pearson to LaGuardia instead.

Re: Aura retail

Anyways, good luck finding a sucker to take that unit (among dozens of others) at this point.

interesting to see a 400ish square foot unit in the basement going for $2700/month..

At $3,690 a month for 400 sq feet of below grade retail with no established traffic I have no idea what business would afford that and still be sustainable - when you consider you won't fins a single Jewelry store leaving Dundas Square to locate in Aura.

I went downstairs on Saturday to the shopping concourse, which is still almost empty. Yes... the shops are tiny for the most part, and it looks very drab. But there is one corner where two shops are open, and it makes a huge difference when there is stuff displayed and signage in place. I don't think it will be anything as bad as most people seem to think once the shops are up and running (assuming they'll find occupants that can afford the exorbitant rent.

At $3,690 a month for 400 sq feet of below grade retail with no established traffic I have no idea what business would afford that and still be sustainable - when you consider you won't fins a single Jewelry store leaving Dundas Square to locate in Aura.

I don't see how it's sustainable for the landlords either. The units seem to be listing for upwards of $400k, assuming that someone bought one with 25% down as an investment they'd be looking at $1500 a month on the mortgage (I'm assuming 6% for the commercial mortgage, is that even reasonable?). T/M/I is almost $1000 on that unit, so the landlord is out $2500 a month that the unit is sitting there empty. If some of those units have been sitting there since New Year's... Well, I guess when the fire sale starts on those units it'll bring down the carrying costs which in turn will bring down the rents and maybe we'll see some interesting businesses down there

Much like trump, this building isn't half bad, its just the inconsistent floor heights that kill it for me. But I think with the addition of the curved portion, this building will be better then the bottom half suggests that it will be.

This boggles me as well. Why does it happen? Do some insane rich buyers demand higher ceiling heights for the floors they've purchased?

Ya sorry. I posted using my ipad. computers down. I will try when it is back up and running again though.

Last edited:
Aura from Dundas near Dalhousie, this afternoon.

Aura-May6-13.png

Back