Construction must be the most dangerous job in the city. Police get paid big bucks because their job is considered dangerous but compare how many cops get killed every year, with construction workers. It's the construction workers who should get danger pay.

When a cop dies every 5 or ten years, it's front page news for a month, yet the many construction deaths go almost unnoticed. Something is wrong there.

Why would the lanyard break? Isn't this the kind of thing you want engineered to be capable of handling three times the forces that it might ever have to handle? If he was wearing a standard harness, one would think every high-rise worker in the province would 1) be feeling sick over this, and 2) want more assurances about their own equipment.

We will be sure to follow the investigation.

Without even having been there, it's ludicrous to say he died because his lanyard broke. You don't walk along hanging from your lanyard all day until suddenly it fails and you fall to your death. If the lanyard failed that tells me that he had already fallen, and the force of the fall caused the lanyard to snap. So how did he come to fall in the first place? And as a high-rise worker I'm not necessarily sick over this because I know what the safety factor is on a lanyard, and I can think of twenty different reasons why this guy's lanyard might have failed to stop his fall. For starters, I'm assuming he was with the concrete guys. Between the lime in the concrete and the sharp edges on the rebar his gear would have been shot. Go have a look at any forming deck anywhere in the city, their gear is always destroyed. And how was he tied off? Was he attached directly to a secure anchor point, or was he running along a 50' static line with piles of slack so that when he fell he subjected the lanyard to excessive force? Where did the lanyard break? Was it a shock-absorbing lanyard or a rope lanyard? I'm sure the MOL is all over this, and given everything that could have been gone wrong I'd wait for them to come back before getting overly concerned that it's a pervasive problem.

Construction must be the most dangerous job in the city. Police get paid big bucks because their job is considered dangerous but compare how many cops get killed every year, with construction workers. It's the construction workers who should get danger pay.

When a cop dies every 5 or ten years, it's front page news for a month, yet the many construction deaths go almost unnoticed. Something is wrong there.

Definitely not a fair comparison. When a cop dies and it's front page news it's usually because they died protecting civilians.

Last edited:

I don't know how it compares to construction workers, but sanitation workers have it worse than other city workers, according to this research: http://www.theatlanticcities.com/politics/2013/04/secret-lives-garbage-men/5156/

"Sanitation workers, it turns out, have twice the fatality rates of police offers, and nearly seven times the fatality rates of firefighters."

Today (August 24th):

zsxeUq3.jpg

T7EnAFi.jpg

gjFyqzR.jpg

I really like this building from the north + south more than I do from the side.

I actually think the south side is the best and the north side is the worst. This tower works best on the angles though.

Taken today amidst hazy skies.
Work has without a doubt been put on hold, however, the elevators were going up the tower (perhaps inspectors on site)

DSC_0273 by stevevephotostream#1, on Flickr

DSC_0241 by stevevephotostream#1, on Flickr

DSC_0249 by stevevephotostream#1, on Flickr

DSC_0271 by stevevephotostream#1, on Flickr

DSC_0263 by stevevephotostream#1, on Flickr

DSC_0258 by stevevephotostream#1, on Flickr

So is work still ongoing with this project or has it been halted due to the accident?

I have a direct view of the tower and can confirm that no work has been done since the tragic accident. The project is at a standstill.

I have a direct view of the tower and can confirm that no work has been done since the tragic accident. The project is at a standstill.

That contradicts something posted over at SSP

There is work underway at Aura. The construction death might have slowed things down by at most a half day or so on the weekend. Glass is being installed at a rapid rate.

As for the concrete forming at the top of the tower,..... that's another storey, as that is where the accident happened.

Back