I see there's a few items before council today regarding the refusal to allow patios for two restaurants along Yonge - one for Reds Midtown Tavern and one for Scaddabush Italian Kitchen and Bar.

I see there's a few items before council today regarding the refusal to allow patios for two restaurants along Yonge - one for Reds Midtown Tavern and one for Scaddabush Italian Kitchen and Bar.

K, thats kinda odd to me. Why would we not want more animation on Yonge? Are the sidewalks too small here or what am I missing?

That's a weird proposal. They want to put the patios on the outside of the sidewalk, close to the roadway, and then keep the pedestrian walkway closer in against the building. I guess it makes sense for keeping pedestrians protected from the elements under the canopies, and then it's also a buffer from the road, but it doesn't seem like it'd be a great place to sit and eat.

Apparently, that's very "European".
The first one in Vancouver opened up last year in Gastown:

IMG_4441.jpg

http://scoutmagazine.ca/2013/06/17/...io-at-rainier-could-lead-to-more-outdoor-fun/

http://www.vancourier.com/news/summer-patio-takes-off-in-gastown-1.577523

http://www.biv.com/article/20130716/BIV0106/307169914/0/BIV

Last edited:
It would freak me out to be on a patio on such a busy street. I know it doesn't happen that often, but cars do end up on sidewalks from time to time.

In Barcelona a lot of the patios are on the island in the middle of the street. The waiters have to run across the traffic to serve your food & drinks. it's crazy... but fun!

Drum118, great shots of Hard Candy. Can I ask, did you get a vip tour before opening hours? There really isn't anyone there!

Drum118, great shots of Hard Candy. Can I ask, did you get a vip tour before opening hours? There really isn't anyone there!

Took them while on the tour of Aura until we were told we need permission to shot and post them. I try to shot shoots with no one in them.

Need permission of people to be in the photos as well advising members 24 hours before shooting.

This was about 2pm.

There will be stuff on the patio as well the place wasn't 100% complete yet

It's a common misconception that you need people's permission to photograph them. I know condo developments and property managers often say you're not allowed to photograph people or common areas of condos, however, the law states that you're allowed to photograph anywhere there is no reasonable expectation of privacy. A building lobby is not someone's private bedroom. Even if it's private property, if it's a public area you can shoot people or things in it. People may not want you taking their photo but it's not against any laws to take it. Now if you were photographing through someone living room window that's another story.

Many would say there's a reasonable expectation of privacy in a private gym, where people are exercising, generally scantily clad, and often can be caught in poses that can be unfavourable.

As for photography in public places, of course it's legal to take pictures of anyone anywhere. If it weren't, surveillance cameras would be against the law.

naked pipes look so ugly for such an awesome gym.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back