If Gerrard street was closed between Bay & Yonge and Yonge was closed between Gerrard & College, how did the tenants at Aura get in and out of their own homes?

If Gerrard street was closed between Bay & Yonge and Yonge was closed between Gerrard & College, how did the tenants at Aura get in and out of their own homes?

Very carefully :p

Under ground via College Park?

Yonge & Gerrard area still closed due to falling ice, that's what, day #5 now? Yonge buses continue to be diverted.

Yonge & Gerrard area still closed due to falling ice, that's what, day #5 now? Yonge buses continue to be diverted.

Ok, stupid question of the day (leave it to me), but is this to become the normal every winter? Or is it simply because the exposed concrete floors create more surface area for ice to build up on? I'm hoping once all cladding is complete, the ice will have nothing to take hold of, otherwise, they'll have to close the street every winter

It's a combination of large, open concrete floors, and the floors below being heated while the upper floors are open to the elements. Once they get it closed in it shouldn't be a problem anymore.

That makes sense, thanks whatever.

Imagine if the DRP didn't exist to encourage Canderel to use curtainwall on the upper floors?

The Gerrard side Shops at Aura entrance is open, as is College Park. I've actually been going through College Park and Shops at Aura this week to detour around Yonge St.

Thank God they did.

Sadder yet, in some alternate universe, people are saying "Imagine if Canderel had used window wall on the entire lower portion!" and everyone is cringing at how unthinkable that is.

Ok, stupid question of the day (leave it to me), but is this to become the normal every winter? Or is it simply because the exposed concrete floors create more surface area for ice to build up on? I'm hoping once all cladding is complete, the ice will have nothing to take hold of, otherwise, they'll have to close the street every winter

A big ice storm that knocked down countless trees and power across the city. At the same time ice falling from all sorts of buildings. I imagine the large storm had something to do with it. A normal winter will tell us if this is the case.

As someone posted earlier, the build up of ice was caused mainly by the open concrete floors above the finished heated floors. Once the building is clad, the problem should go away... we hope.

Back