I would like to hear what the architects have to say. It is hard to imagine that they would make so many errors - cheapo and ugly basement and foodcourt, imposing shelving on large windows overlooking a busy and interesting intersection, boring commercial spaces with low ceilings at street level. What happened? The tenants and owners must be partially responsible for this disaster. It would not surprise me if the whole podium and basement undergo a major reno in 10 years...

I would like to hear what the architects have to say. It is hard to imagine that they would make so many errors - cheapo and ugly basement and foodcourt, imposing shelving on large windows overlooking a busy and interesting intersection, boring commercial spaces with low ceilings at street level. What happened? The tenants and owners must be partially responsible for this disaster. It would not surprise me if the whole podium and basement undergo a major reno in 10 years...

It's not so much the architect's fault when it comes to the programming of spaces -- that's usually the developer's call. Though architect and designer is definitely to blame for the cheap and unwelcoming design of that basement.
If that basement space was better designed, it could make for an interesting arts or cultural centre for students and up-and-coming artists. A large space full of galleries and artist studios is something our city needs, however that wouldn't make the developer any money -- maybe it could've been a section 37 contribution and a big benefit for local schools.

One of the problems with these stores is that they don't open up to the mall, each kiosk are glassed-in and have to be entered through a door which hampers people from freely browsing and shopping from store to store.

The same charge could have (and probably was) leveled against any sort of "neo" style. Neo-classic, neo-Tudor (Tudor City in NY), neo-gothic Tribune Tower in Chicago. People love that stuff now. Stern's stuff it great. So is M+G. This is obvious.

Yeah, for proof of "People love that stuff now", just look at many a McMansion or Chedingtonista-pandering condo out there.

Actually, the sturdier "People love that stuff now" argument is on behalf of *older* neo/revivalist stuff, i.e. the preexisting Tudor Citys and Tribune Towers rather than ex novo fakery. That's how the preservation movement came to exist--the redemption of what used to be commonly pigeonholed as obsolete old crocks. But it certainly isn't an unabashed argument for "doing it the same way today".

Top 10 Bitchiest Reviews in the New AIA Guide

15 Central Park West (Robert A.M. Stern): "A stage set: an attempted re-incarnation of the spacious, luxurious apartment architecture constructed along Central Park West between the two world wars. Everything's exaggerated, retro and gigantic, from the marble lobby to the bathrooms, from private screening rooms to wine cellars. The Century, next door, was a founding father of this Central Park West apartment row, and the real thing."

Actually, the sturdier "People love that stuff now" argument is on behalf of *older* neo/revivalist stuff, i.e. the preexisting Tudor Citys and Tribune Towers rather than ex novo fakery. That's how the preservation movement came to exist--the redemption of what used to be commonly pigeonholed as obsolete old crocks. But it certainly isn't an unabashed argument for "doing it the same way today".

Top 10 Bitchiest Reviews in the New AIA Guide

"on behalf of *older* neo/revivalist...". That's my point, it is loved now, but was kitchy at the time, Gothic come-on 12th Century! Nothing wrong with revivalist work now in the right hands.

Quite correct that was a bitchy review. 15CP is a spectacular building. To respond to your inconsistency its respectful of Context, highly so. Sooo much penis envy - how do you people survive???
(Actually re-reading that review, I'm not convinced its critical. Afterall who wants pre-war size bathrooms?)

Adma, what are examples of 50 story buildings less than 10 year old than you a formerly tenured Humanities Prof now on a very rich unfunded public pension approve of?

Last edited:
There are definite disappointments from the retail owners on how things turned out (quality of materials, accessibility/visibility, currently no cell phone reception, etc.) but a lot of this will be worked on by the Board of Directors there who have a mighty job ahead of them in turning things around there. Give it time and see how things look in 1-2 years. That will be a better time to judge.

Will retail have their own BoD or do they belong to one of the condo BoD's?

Will retail have their own BoD or do they belong to one of the condo BoD's?

The underground retail section has it's own Board of Directors that has been in place since November. The residential tower will in fact be made up of two more other condo corporations. The big box stores are another entity too.

With a building of this size, the work needs to be divided up between different condo corporations, however it makes for tricky deals with shared agreements etc. between all of these parties who are sharing the lot.

Jan 09 from Port Credit
11865058025_2e6cf3d29a_b.jpg

11865039375_3929f1a002_b.jpg

11865465094_c738d2a0bf_b.jpg

11865049425_bec4c65814_b.jpg

Someone seriously messed up if you need to do this in a brand new building.

It is always this case on the front end: the developer selects managers, writes the declaration, and designs the space. Rarely do these choices work together harmoniously once in use. Depending on who the owners elect, establishing a productive pattern can take years. As the building is divided into different corporations, I would say that consolidation of retail units in the basement is the only way to reconfigure use, as the other boards have no interest in funding a re-model.

Are there units with huge terraces? On the top of the 14 th floor. Has there been any info about them

Back