I disagree. These types of patios work very well on Ocean drive and Lincoln road in Miami, which both have far more pedestrian activity than I have ever seen on Yonge street.

I hate to say I told you so but...

I walked by this site today and it seems my prediction has come true. This badly situated outdoor patio has bitten the dust and for all you guys who came back with Miami Beach and Montreal have them, well the places that both those cities have similar patios, don't have the pedestrian traffic that Yonge Street has. Walking by today, it was clear that the large amount pf pedestrian traffic would not suit a patio here. Not only that but this was a pretty pathetic attempt at a sidewalk patio. The patios along Gerrard Street are much more appropriate and relate to the restaurants much better.

Here is the view from City Hall during Doors Open Toronto 2014.
It's a bit late but still interesting to see how Aura's making its presence in our skyline north of Queen.

14330217661_2ec1dc3fa8_h.jpg

Flickr Link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/jonray107/14330217661/

I hate to say I told you so but...

I walked by this site today and it seems my prediction has come true. This badly situated outdoor patio has bitten the dust and for all you guys who came back with Miami Beach and Montreal have them, well the places that both those cities have similar patios, don't have the pedestrian traffic that Yonge Street has. Walking by today, it was clear that the large amount pf pedestrian traffic would not suit a patio here. Not only that but this was a pretty pathetic attempt at a sidewalk patio. The patios along Gerrard Street are much more appropriate and relate to the restaurants much better.

So the Gerrard St. patio remains and the Yonge St. patio is toast?

I disagree. These types of patios work very well on Ocean drive and Lincoln road in Miami, which both have far more pedestrian activity than I have ever seen on Yonge street.

I agree mostly. These patios work perfect on Ocean Drive and really contribute to the "people watching" aspect of that street. They're great patios to sit on.

I found it quite difficult at times to move along Ocean Drive during dining hours because of the amount of foot traffic and relatively constrained sidewalks due to the patios. However, when you're on Ocean Drive, you're not really going anywhere. You've already arrived at your destination and you are just milling about, people watching, bar-hopping, etc.

I think Yonge St. is a bit different because it is an important aterial road in Toronto. People use the street to go to and from work, to grab groceries, etc. I think the level of traffic is less important than the type of traffic.

All that said, I like the patios in Toronto but I think until we see them in action over an extended period it will be tough to know if they really work well or not.

Attachments

• IMG_4070.jpg
    IMG_4070.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 2,745
  • IMG_4071.jpg
    IMG_4071.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 2,728
^ Any reason the patios weren't positioned right up to the building? Or are they just positioned by the street to maximize sunlight due to the temporary overhead construction canopy above?

Taken today:

14174599617_67439d9202_c.jpg

14174450518_cb4b472888_c.jpg

14360190584_9f35363040_c.jpg

7 June 2014: Aura U on Spadina?
uygYq0p.jpg

Walking up Yonge past this building today I realized what it needs: all the curtains replaced with an assortment of tinfoil, Canadian flags and flags of the world, bed sheets etc and laundry hanging off the balconies. Then it would truly fit in with its context.:D

Back