I would rather have Marshall's than IKEA. I have an IKEA store near me. I visit maybe once or twice every couple years. For a light fixtures or other furniture's. The cookware is absolute garbage. There is nothing at that store i need a regular basis.

I would rather have Marshall's than IKEA. I have an IKEA store near me. I visit maybe once or twice every couple years. For a light fixtures or other furniture's. The cookware is absolute garbage. There is nothing at that store i need a regular basis.

Beg to differ on that score - there is literally another Marshall's one block south at 10 Dundas, and a Winners 3 minutes walk to the North at College Park.

AoD

^Close, but the Marshall's at Aura is only one of 3 in the downtown core. However yes, there is a Winners both just north (at College Park) and south (at 10 Dundas) from here.

The Winners at College Park pretty much sells everything that the Marshall's here does, so I dont really get the point of this location. But we're talking about TJX here, whom also decided to open up another Winners just feet from the flagship for whatever reason...

^Close, but the Marshall's at Aura is only one of 3 in the downtown core. However yes, there is a Winners both just north (at College Park) and south (at 10 Dundas) from here.

The Winners at College Park pretty much sells everything that the Marshall's here does, so I dont really get the point of this location. But we're talking about TJX here, whom also decided to open up another Winners just feet from the flagship for whatever reason...

TJX owns both Marshall's and Winners. It's like Future Shop/Best Buy redux.

AoD

Discovered Marshall's closed today despite being open earlier in Step 1 of reopening. Security guard said it was because they didn't have an outdoor entrance. Will open in Step 3 on June 30.
Maybe someone from Ikea ratted on them, so they'll suffer financially from the delayed opening and Ikea can then take over their space too :)

Maybe someone from Ikea ratted on them, so they'll suffer financially from the delayed opening and Ikea can then take over their space too :)

I doubt TJX can suffer that much from the financial difficulties - especially considering the lineups at their stores of late. I guess another question is whether the real estate arm of the Ikea's holding company is the landlord (since they bought a chunk of the complex).

AoD

The lineup for the Winners on Front St. East is pretty crazy. Apparently it's been like that for days since the Step 1 re-opening.

The lineup for the Winners on Front St. East is pretty crazy. Apparently it's been like that for days since the Step 1 re-opening.
Yes, long line-ups every day. I must admit I occasionally shop (or look) at Winners but it has certainly not been among my first post-lockdown places to go!

Yeah but for anyone downtown there is no local IKEA (yes you can get to some on the TTC but I wouldn't say it's exactly convenient). There's also another Marshall's on John St, so it's not like this is the only one downtown. Plus the 3 Winners and 2 Homesense stores in the nearby area to Aura. IKEA adds more retail variety to downtown than yet another TJX store does.

Construction fences around the south side where the restaurants used to be

23F3CE27-66B0-441E-AED8-3347B50742E0.jpeg

The press release from March indicated that Ingka Centres purchased "12,270 sq. m (132,070 sq. ft) of gross leasable area across 3-floors. Ingka Centres will redevelop the property into a new destination, with the IKEA Toronto Downtown Store set to span 6,148 sq. m (66,175 sq ft) of the ground and second floor".

I guess that means that Ingka also now owns the 3rd floor where Marshalls is currently located? Could they be waiting for the lease with TJX to expire and then have Ikea/Ingka take over the 3rd floor as well? Or possibly, they could offer an incentive for Marshalls to leave early, just like what happened with Reds/Scaddabush/Duke's on the ground floor.

Also, who owns the 4th floor of the podium, where the Hard Candy / Crunch / No Name gym was operating?

Ground and 2nd floor? Does that mean that the restaurants on the ground floor have gone under? What about the RBC branch?

Ground and 2nd floor? Does that mean that the restaurants on the ground floor have gone under? What about the RBC branch?

The restos are gone, they accepted an option to exit their lease.

Back