March 15
8576694628_b343241d17_b.jpg

8575598299_883b077b71_b.jpg

Those underground stores were marketed as being part of the PATH. On the map there's a door in the southeast corner labelled Future PATH Connection. I've seen for lease a unit next to that door advertising its proximity to the PATH. If Ryerson, with its heavy student traffic and facilities on both sides of the Yonge-Dundas intersection, can't make the economics work for the short connection from its new Student Centre to the PATH and the subway then what are the chances of it reaching AURA anytime in the next twenty years? Dead in the water it is then. Poor investors.
Aura is already part of the PATH according to the official PATH map. It's just not connected to other parts of the PATH.

http://www.toronto.ca/path/pdf/path_brochure.pdf

The transformation taking place in Toronto right now is world-class and inspiring, and developments like Aura are a significant component to that transformation...Even if you hate Aura for its architectural shortcomings and lack of polish, surely you can appreciate (and express such appreciation) for the impact it will have on the skyline and intersection and the general statement it is trying to make about Toronto's arrival as a world-class city.

I'm sorry to pick on this point specifically, and I've made my opinions about Aura, but this project is in no way contributory to Toronto's aim for "world class" status. This is a second rate building at best for Toronto, and in any other moderately significant city in the world, it would be second rate or worse. World class (and I'm not a big fan of that term anyway) would be a building that breaks architectural ground, employs renowned architects, and certainly one that doesn't use cheap materials with interiors not out of place at a 1990s shopping plaza.

Anyway, that's not to take away from the incredible development and transformation we're seeing in Toronto, but there's a lot more to world class than 800 feet of spandrel.

I was surprised by the poor connection from Aura's basement retail area to College Park. I thought it would be accomplished with a straight slightly inclined hallway, perhaps escalators, but it has lots of stairs, turns, several heavy doors. There is no flow at all. The PATH downtown is generally much better connected than this.

It is connected; the subway is part of PATH.

I remember looking at this site pre-construction and wishing I could buy one in this building. Let's hope the residential area is much better executed than the commercial afterthought.

Those are a couple of really impressive shots, Drum118; the first especially... There's a real sense of a rising city that hasn't been captured often in these threads... Dark, and broad in scope...

Last edited by a moderator:
Aura is already part of the PATH according to the official PATH map. It's just not connected to other parts of the PATH.

http://www.toronto.ca/path/pdf/path_brochure.pdf

it doesn't matter what the map shows. If it is not connected, it is not part of PATH, otherwise the Bloor/Yorkville concourse level, or any underground mall in Toronto 20KM away should be considered part of the PATH? Connectivity is the most imporant thing.

It is connected; the subway is part of PATH.

I remember looking at this site pre-construction and wishing I could buy one in this building. Let's hope the residential area is much better executed than the commercial afterthought.

Beg to differ. You WALK on a PATH. By your definition, the Go Station in Hamilton is also on the path as is Finch Station and the Scarberia Town Centre, since it connected by public transit.

The PATH is a system of walkable connected underground tunnels and malls.

I was surprised by the poor connection from Aura's basement retail area to College Park. I thought it would be accomplished with a straight slightly inclined hallway, perhaps escalators, but it has lots of stairs, turns, several heavy doors. There is no flow at all. The PATH downtown is generally much better connected than this.

I completely agree!

Right now Aura's basement feels more like a labyrinth of entrepreneurial bleakness than a legitimate shopping centre. These layers of barriers create a sense of disconnectedness from College Park. The casual passerby will not bother with entering an area that offers no invitation or engagement. One of the greatest strengths of the PATH system is the transparency and flow of the network corridors. Until the connection with CP is improved and circulation is created with the south, I cannot see this space being anything more than a dead zone.

Last edited:
it doesn't matter what the map shows. If it is not connected, it is not part of PATH, otherwise the Bloor/Yorkville concourse level, or any underground mall in Toronto 20KM away should be considered part of the PATH? Connectivity is the most imporant thing.

The main point isn't to argue the definition of the PATH, but to show that the PATH committee placing College Park on the map shows intent to expand it up to College St! It'd be tricky, but a wise move!

you would need a redevelopment of the worlds biggest bookstore and a path network below a renovated delta Chelsea to do that. i could see that happening in 10-15 years..

Back