Even the HDR touchups couldn't make this building look pretty in these photos.

The building designs in toronto have to get a lot better, world class better in the hardest, fastest way possible. city hall and or the province has to do something to prevent crap like this from going up! But i love the height

Alright, I'll bite and offer a differing opinion: I think the white strips going up the top half of the building look quite good, and connect it more with its admittedly messy and too busy base. It straightens the building out a bit, makes it look more continuous with its lower half, and adds some elegance.

That all being said, I still don't think the building is much hell.

The retail isn't entirely a failure. This barbershop is actually busy:

M1200067.JPG

Attachments

• M1200067.JPG
    M1200067.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 1,007
The building designs in toronto have to get a lot better, world class better in the hardest, fastest way possible. city hall and or the province has to do something to prevent crap like this from going up! But i love the height

I respectfully disagree. The LAST thing I want to see is the City having the power to block projects based on such a subjective consideration as design. We have already seen the Design Review Panel (which thankfully does not have the power to outright block projects, only to make recommendations) making plenty of bizarre decisions, such as recommending against approval of a project (the proposed hotel next to the Distillery District) that even they admitted was a "world-class" design.

Yuck, who wants to live in that world? This is Toronto, like it or lump it, largely mediocre from a design perspective but a very nice place overall.

To be fair, when the sun is blasting directly on it, it's not pretty (like most glass buildings), however with the sun behind it, it can actually look very pleasing to the eye, especially near sundown.

I actually like how Aura looks in all the pictures on the previous page. It looks better from a distance and when looking from either south or north on Yonge.

To be fair, when the sun is blasting directly on it, it's not pretty (like most glass buildings), however with the sun behind it, it can actually look very pleasing to the eye, especially near sundown.

A building should look good regardless of where the sun is, if it's designed by a real architect. Look at any of the bank towers in the financial district, or some of the heritage buildings, or almost anything else that is clad with more than just glass and spandrel.

Popping up from many angles:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2323.jpg
    IMG_2323.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2,368
  • IMG_2320.JPG
    IMG_2320.JPG
    792.3 KB · Views: 2,336
  • IMG_2318.JPG
    IMG_2318.JPG
    930.5 KB · Views: 2,356
A building should look good regardless of where the sun is, if it's designed by a real architect. Look at any of the bank towers in the financial district, or some of the heritage buildings, or almost anything else that is clad with more than just glass and spandrel.

You'll get no argument from me there!

+1

A good review of Kaiju, which appears to be the only restaurant in the food court right now (though correct me if I'm wrong). http://www.blogto.com/restaurants/kaiju-toronto

I saw a few other restaurants the last time I was there. I think it's too soon to tell whether or not this underground mall and food court will be successful. By the way, I love the name “Kaiju†- reminds me of Godzilla :)!

who quoted: Quote Originally Posted by wmedia View Post

Cue up "Trial by Jury"

So he fell in love with a rich attorney's Elderly, ugly daughter

The rich attorney, he jump'd with joy
And replied to my fond professions
"You shall reap the reward of your pluck, my boy
At the Bailey and Middlesex Sessions
You'll soon get used to her looks," said he
"And a very nice girl you will find her
She may very well pass for forty-three
In the dusk, with a light behind her"

If you want the visuals ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FiOmiiX48I

Back