It looks like the dock wall has been finished. Many trailers on site. Taken 7 February.

IMG_6832.jpeg

A crew was working on Sunday. More winding down…. Maybe winding up. Not sure.
I have never been to Basin St. before.
Some folks have set up their motorhome/residence on the side streets in the area. I’m assuming they weren’t part of any movie productions.
View attachment 534530
You'd be surprised, then. I've known of carps and grips who live we;; outside of the GTA who have parked trailers/motorhomes on Basin Street so that they'd not have to commute during a production contract - cheap living, rent-free. Not for everyone, natch, and this kind of thing is going to go away once Basin Street is fully built out.

You'd be surprised, then. I've known of carps and grips who live we;; outside of the GTA who have parked trailers/motorhomes on Basin Street so that they'd not have to commute during a production contract - cheap living, rent-free. Not for everyone, natch, and this kind of thing is going to go away once Basin Street is fully built out.
That would truly be insufferable to be moving c-stands and sandbags around all day and then have to commute to Ajax after. Sheesh. *I've never done that in my life* /s

Seems to me that people have differing standards of what constitutes creature comforts - most of the guys who have lived in trailers parked on Unwin and elsewhere in the Portlands seemed to me to be pretty happy to have their little hidey-holes on wheels.

Presentation to DRP here: https://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/sit...2024-WDRP-Basin-Media-Hub-Detailed-Design.pdf

Looks like this is getting put through the VE machine

I don't know that what's proposed looks any worse than it did; I was unimpressed before and remain the same.

The only notable here is the express statement that the waterfront promenade is out-of-scope.

ie someone else's problem.

To me, there is something else though..........the tree selection is completely goofy, don't like it.

1712087532055.png

Ginko - Not native to this continent and of no interest to local birds/wildlife.

Columnar English Oak, not native to this continent, out.

I'm dubious on Black Gum which is really native further south, looks nice, not a terrible choice, but I'm not sure if it would do well here. Sub optimal.

For nice golden hues, consider Aspen, Honey Locust, and Beech.

Sugar Maple is warmer in tone than Red and will do better in Toronto

Also, winter interest is a thing:

1712087725319.png

Needs at least some conifers, and trees that retain leaves well into winter (Beech)

Last edited:
Brick is gone.

Main office building components are now clad in green metal insulated panels. The stages are now ribbed precast concrete much more in line with the existing soundstage buildings in the area. It’s just more of a basic studio now which is fine, but why go through three rounds of design review panel to end up with something completely different and arguably worse than the original concept?

Brick is gone.

Main office building components are now clad in green metal insulated panels. The stages are now ribbed precast concrete much more in line with the existing soundstage buildings in the area. It’s just more of a basic studio now which is fine, but why go through three rounds of design review panel to end up with something completely different and arguably worse than the original concept?

What I want to see is what the members of the DRP has to say about this gradual VEing of the design.

AoD

I don't know that what's proposed looks any worse than it did; I was unimpressed before and remain the same.

The only notable here is the express statement that the waterfront promenade is out-of-scope.

ie someone else's problem.

To me, there is something else though..........the tree selection is completely goofy, don't like it.

View attachment 553135

Ginko - Not native to this continent and of no interest to local birds/wildlife.

Columnar English Oak, not native to this continent, out.

I'm dubious on Black Gum which is really native further south, looks nice, not a terrible choice, but I'm not sure if it would do well here. Sub optimal.

For nice golden hues, consider Aspen, Honey Locust, and Beech.

Sugar Maple is warmer in tone than Red and will do better in Toronto

Also, winter interest is a thing:

View attachment 553137

Needs at least some conifers, and trees that retain leaves well into winter (Beech)
Gingko are amazing, branches doesn’t break easy, wind resistant, pollution resistant, low maintenance. It’s a legacy tree. A favourite tree of mine with so many cultivars with different shape and size. It’s true it’s not the favourite trees for birds but my gingko attract a lot of birds and wish I would see more of this tree in premium locations.

Back