To get back to the topic, whatever is the case with the rest of the street, the Kromer radio building is ugly and would be no loss if and when it is redeveloped. (Although the poster who said the store was excellent is right.)

Mid-rise buildings like B.Street Condos are a good standard for future buildings along Bathurst, introducing higher density residential usage and more mixed-use space. I really hope the redevelopment of the SW corner parking lot at Bathurst/College is on the horizon.

Mid-rise buildings like B.Street Condos are a good standard for future buildings along Bathurst, introducing higher density residential usage and more mixed-use space. I really hope the redevelopment of the SW corner parking lot at Bathurst/College is on the horizon.

I agree. Just yesterday I was looking at this parking lot in disbelief that it hasn't changed in decades, despite how otherwise-wonderful this area is. It really bothers me each time I see it. It's such an absurd waste of such valuable space, not to mention hideous (with billboards, etc.).

Er...pretty sure they were there first.

That doesn't mean they're not ill-placed. At minimum they don't suit Bathurst as it should be today, and I'm inclined to think that it was bad planning historically (which has continued until recently) that has left us with a number of streets, widely recognized as our ugliest, that have an unsightly mix of light industrial, two storey commercial and victorian or row house residential. I'm thinking Bathurst, Dufferin, Dupont, Dundas in parts. At the time these were built up they were presumably seen as too far from the core to support any greater density but they certainly could now.

That doesn't mean they're not ill-placed. At minimum they don't suit Bathurst as it should be today, and I'm inclined to think that it was bad planning historically (which has continued until recently) that has left us with a number of streets, widely recognized as our ugliest, that have an unsightly mix of light industrial, two storey commercial and victorian or row house residential. I'm thinking Bathurst, Dufferin, Dupont, Dundas in parts. At the time these were built up they were presumably seen as too far from the core to support any greater density but they certainly could now.

Right. The fact that they are earliest doesn't mean they hold some special value and are untouchable.

I just don't understand how come the low rises still remain in 2012. To have Bathurst, Dundas W and many side streets as they are is simply stupid for a major capital city. People keep saying the boundary of downtown is Bathurst. I looked at Bathurst a thousand times and still it doesn't have anything to do with "downtown". I think Barrie have plenty of streets looking exactly the same.

They don't exactly reflect unique "character" (people can see these kind of houses everywhere honestly) either, but just poor planning and bad use of downtown land. I hope city planners will come to their senses someday and realise Bathurst needs to increase its density by like 5 folds.

Hahaha I some how don't see this happening.

Gets you all excited for the massive "upscale" retail development Riocan has planned for Front and Spadina, doesn't it!

Sounds like this bloody awful proposal just got worse. Rio Can is slowly orchestrating the death of Kensington Market. Wal-Mart needs to GTFO.

I agree its silly but ... why it would be the death of Kensington Market !!!!

The Market has went through so much gentrification as of late, there are many many more restaurants / high end establishments (for the better or worse), Walmart does not compete against this.

Also its a destination ! Walmart isn't ...

I don't want to see it go ahead either but I don't think it would be terrible for Kensington .

I agree its silly but ... why it would be the death of Kensington Market !!!!

The Market has went through so much gentrification as of late, there are many many more restaurants / high end establishments (for the better or worse), Walmart does not compete against this.

Also its a destination ! Walmart isn't ...

I don't want to see it go ahead either but I don't think it would be terrible for Kensington .

Its a logical fallacy to assume that WalMart will destroy the market, even if you don't buy the gentrification + organic argument, as a boho paradise the market was known for cheap produce, varied spices and used clothing.

Last I checked - WalMart isn't known for any of those things.

Yeah, I'm not seeing a ton of overlap between Wal-Mart and Kensington. I'm more worried about Honest Ed's.

Back