That's awesome! It's cool that you were interviewed by Radio-Canada.
I have one question... was it not possible to complete the project without Section 37 funds / council motions? I'm just wondering why sometimes projects are fully budgeted for and sometimes council passes many motions in order to keep things rolling.
Section 37 are City funds from developments and are used to fund 'community benefits'. That is not to say that some community benefits do not (and should not) come from 'regular" City taxes but having Section 37 funds tends to move projects ahead faster and often allows the City to take advantage of 'fleeting opportunities' that are hard to deal with in a regular City budget cycle.

Section 37 are City funds from developments and are used to fund 'community benefits'. That is not to say that some community benefits do not (and should not) come from 'regular" City taxes but having Section 37 funds tends to move projects ahead faster and often allows the City to take advantage of 'fleeting opportunities' that are hard to deal with in a regular City budget cycle.
This is very well put and a great description of our scenario at the CMC site.

If it's going to be open to the sky, does that mean all the old equipment above (seen at the beginning of the video) is getting removed?

If it's going to be open to the sky, does that mean all the old equipment above (seen at the beginning of the video) is getting removed?
Great question. Everything that we can safely remount over the walkway we will. At minimum that means the large cylinders (aka dust storage bins). The long vertical shafts that held the conveyer belts are unfortunately corroded beyond any repair or salvage. You can literally put your finger through them. And the two bridges have been carefully documented for eventual reinstallation as part of a future possible re-use plan, but we can’t justify that work today without an interior fit out plan for the upper floors. Finally, all salvageable equipment and other artefacts are being stored on site (inside the silos) for future display. Some of those items you’ll actually be able to see on display when you walk through the portal.

Here’s a progress shot from the interior of the ‘Corleck’ - the Canada Ireland Foundation’s adaptive re-use of the former CMC silo admin building into a new arts and cultural hub. Architect is Kearns-Mancini. Helical piles have just been installed here and on the building exterior (the latter to support the slabs for two new stairwells - one leading to a rooftop patio). Once the new interior slab is back up to grade the columns and ceiling you see in this image will be demolished to create an open, double height performance space. The building will be weathertight by Feb 2023 with FF&E starting at that time. This aligns with planned start of the surrounding waterfront plaza construction (designed by PFS Studio), for which we’re on track for construction tender award later this year and mobilization in March 2023 (when the Corleck work site can be reduced). An interesting side note: once we start the plaza construction, we will have a total of three separate but coordinated projects in construction at the same time on the CMC property: the plaza, Corleck, and north silo rehab (south rehab will be done by then).

5CDD0CB6-7609-4193-A017-38AD86F69328.jpeg

FAAEFA1D-74B5-43BF-8355-3473BDFE1284.jpeg

Having trouble inserting images from my phone for some reason but here is the interior rendering by Kearns Mancini

Last edited by a moderator:
I spent three summers working here back in the day when it was still a working facility. Brings back a lot of memories.

IMG_1195.JPG
IMG_1191.JPG

The basement where I worked sweeping grain dust. Hot dusty boring mindless work. But it paid triple what my friends made at Canada's Wonderland!
IMG_1189.JPG
IMG_1188.JPG
IMG_1183.JPG
IMG_1165.JPG
IMG_1161.JPG

@Edward Skira "The basement where I worked sweeping grain dust. Hot dusty boring mindless work. But it paid triple what my friends made at Canada's Wonderland!"

Dangerous work Ed! Grain dust in silos can trigger explosions and cause serious health conditions like "Farmer's Lung".

Fortunately you switched to Fermented Grains 🥃... whiss nooo doubt mud ya the man you iss today.

Fortunately you switched to Fermented Grains 🥃... whiss nooo doubt mud ya the man you iss today.

I did both. The malt would go across to the old Molson plant on Fleet Street. And the drivers would return with buckets of fresh cold beer for us!

Great pictures of an exciting project. I assume the (not-veiled) silos to the north end of the complex will be 'restored' next year?
Yes, we phased this work south to north to synchronize with the adjacent plaza construction. The north will also be tendered separately so that we can incorporate all that we’re learning from the current south silo rehab into the scope for the north.

In a report to next week's Executive Committee looking at strategic priorities for downtown parks, this site and lands adjacent have been deemed a top priority for a 3 acre signature waterfront park.

Report here: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2022/ex/bgrd/backgroundfile-228092.pdf

Conceptual Render from the above:

View attachment 411757

Details:

View attachment 411758

View attachment 411759

View attachment 411760
FYI: Mayor Tory is on site making this announcement now.

Media release up here:

Back