I was over there again today and note that there is only an 'informal' path to access this 'quay' at the east side of Norway Park (immediately west of the airport dock area). It really should be tidied up, is it City property?

IMG_1057[1].JPG

I was in Montreal a few weeks ago and was really impressed with their art installation, Cite Memoire. It projected incredible images/video of the history of Montreal onto the side of buildings in the old Port area. It was so well done and drew big crowds. By watching the videos, we learned more about the history and it made us want to visit new, different areas to learn more. So...not only did it look amazing, it actually helped promote more tourism by making us go to places we weren't even planning to see! Win, win.

When I watched it I couldn't help thinking how great something like this would look at the Bathurst Silos. The ability to curate certain themes you wanted to project in a beautiful way would add so much interest and appeal to that area. I know they tested a light install earlier this year but maybe this is something that could be explored too. Just wanted to throw it out.

It's called Cite Memoire. Here is a 2 min video with more details on the project.

Last edited:
I was in Montreal a few weeks ago and was really impressed with their art installation, Cite Memoire. It projected incredible images/video of the history of Montreal onto the side of buildings in the old Port area. It was so well done and drew big crowds. By watching the videos, we learned more about the history and it made us want to visit new, different areas to learn more. So...not only did it look amazing, it actually helped promote more tourism by making us go to places we weren't even planning to see! Win, win.

When I watched it I couldn't help thinking how great something like this would look at the Bathurst Silos. The ability to curate certain themes you wanted to project in a beautiful way would add so much interest and appeal to that area. I know they tested a light install earlier this year but maybe this is something that could be explored too. Just wanted to throw it out.

I can't post the videos I took on UT, and pics won't do it justice, so I will provide a weblink (hope that's allowed) for more info. Or you could always google it, should anyone be so inclined. It's called Cite Memoire.

If you post your videos to youtube or vimeo, you can link them in UT posts.

Now look what you've done!

I get back from a nice Saturday morning stroll and trip to the farmer's market and you send me down a rabbit hole on this..................I still haven't found the answer yet, but in reading 4 months of meeting minutes for the BQNA.....I have to go update other threads!

Pfft.

PS, why don't we check in with @bowen who might know the answer to this one.....
Sorry, have been meaning to respond to this for awhile now.

There are three big public realm moves in the Bathurst Quay Neighbourhood Plan (BQNP): http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2018.TE33.9

See attached Framework Plan , which formed part of a City-initiated OPA we used to entrench our BQNP ambitions as OP policy (this has helped a lot). In order of implementation these big moves are:

1. Revitalization of the Canada Malting property (broke ground in 2019 and planned to be substantially complete in 2024)
2. Signature new waterfront park at the Portland Slip and Spadina Quay parking garage properties. Water lot purchased in 2018. Work plan approved by Council in July 2022. Busy with advancing that work plan right now, hence the slow reply to this thread. :)
3. Future park and open space, with re-built promenade, at the foot of Stadium Road.

That third project has enormous potential, but for a number of reasons it made sense to tackle it after the two others. We will definitely get there.

Map 2_Bathurst Quay Framework Plan.jpg

Attachments

• Map 2_Bathurst Quay Framework Plan.jpg
    710.1 KB · Views: 71
  • Map 2_Bathurst Quay Framework Plan.jpg
    710.1 KB · Views: 67
Last edited by a moderator:

It's called Cite Memoire. Here is a 2 min video with more details on the project.

Moment Factory_Projection Study_CMC North Silo_East Elevation.jpg
Bathurst Quay Park Conceptual Rendering_Credit PFS Studio.JPG

On it! Moment Factory has already produced a feasibility study for us (with funding generously provided by the Waterfront BIA; see excerpt attached), and our recent Council-approved work plan for the Portland Slip park includes advancing the installation of permanent multi-media infrastructure in the new park space. The vision is to use the park to host waterfront film festivals that are projected on the restored silos, as well as use this extraordinary canvas for displaying public art and potentially surface-mapped projection shows. Lots more on this to come...

Thanks for this, it looks good (on paper) but are there actually any concrete plans and dates? Does the existing surface parking lot (planned for park space) belong to the City? I do not see any note of improving the (informal) path beside the airport ferry slip; that would really not be expensive to do and would help open the area up a bit more.

Thanks for this, it looks good (on paper) but are there actually any concrete plans and dates? Does the existing surface parking lot (planned for park space) belong to the City? I do not see any note of improving the (informal) path beside the airport ferry slip; that would really not be expensive to do and would help open the area up a bit more.
That parking lot is a great example of the many legacy lease and license agreements that have made public property in Bathurst Quay difficult to revitalize. Until 1992, what are now City-owned properties in BQ were all still owned by the Harbourfront Development Corporation, a federal quango that entered into a number of long-term agreements with other federal business enterprises and agencies (ie the former Toronto Harbour Commission/now PortsToronto; and Harbourfront Centre). And though HDC was dissolved and many of their real estate assets transferred to the City, those standing agreements came with the transfer of title. This is why you see BBTCA facilities occupying 'public land' in Bathurst Quay, including at the silo property, alongside the Eireann Quay ROW, and the parking lot at Stadium Road. The airport's ownership footprint city-side is actually really quite small (just the parcel that the tunnel facility was built on). The rest is linked to these prior agreements.

Having said that, I agree with your remarks on that path. Will take that away and see what can be done sooner.

Major milestone on site today as demo of the original structural grid for the Corleck's event and exhibition space was completed. Hard to believe the 2019 photos here are of the same space. With interior structural demo and re-construction now complete, roof deck installation and steel work for the new exterior staircases starts next week.

Also seen here is the just completed roof membrane for the north silo. This is part of the enabling investments we're making to support the silos' future interior re-use (including explorations underway with OCAD to use the ground floor of the north silo as a creative arts exhibition space). We'll hit another milestone next week as we finish off concrete repairs at the south silo and start tinting that entire structure in order to match (near to) its original 1928 appearance. That same repair and tinting work starts on the north silo
Oct 2019 OPPI Tour.JPG
Oct 2019.JPG
IMG_1080.jpg
IMG_1113.jpg
Finished structural demo_Oct 7 2022.jpg
IMG_1088.jpg
IMG_1091.jpg
early next year.

And just for fun, a skyline view from the silos this morning.

3. Future park and open space, with re-built promenade, at the foot of Stadium Road.

That third project has enormous potential, but for a number of reasons it made sense to tackle it after the two others. We will definitely get there.

Oh wow, this is one of the most exciting things I've read on here in a long time. I actually walked around that area for the first time recently. Had no idea it existed before and thought it had a ton of potential to be something amazing but since I'd never heard anyone talk of the area I thought it wouldn't be something I'd see in my lifetime.

Great shots. Thanks. FYI: the scaffolding on the south silo will soon start to be dismantled, thus revealing the first of our restored facades (north silo repairs to start early next year). I’ve been taking advantage of this access while I can to get pictures from just above the trees in Ireland Park and along the Portland Slip. Here’s one from yesterday.

And the Corleck’s roof deck has been installed over the performance and event space. Some views below from the interior of that space (which opens directly into the new PFS Studio-designed park we’re starting to build in the Spring) and of the future rooftop terrace overlooking the harbour. Steel work on the Corleck’s new exterior staircases starts this week.

20E3D17C-2B40-4975-9FA4-6D856CD1A5C0.jpeg
154EB9A3-6E3A-44C3-B57C-10D8B2D317AD.jpeg
B6EC44B4-A973-438B-8C54-AE3252C2574C.jpeg
97A2D5A9-D3C0-4362-8113-F85E8E8F5F45.jpeg

Attachments

• C2F0A8A4-A92F-40AF-82CD-0822398373EC.jpeg
    C2F0A8A4-A92F-40AF-82CD-0822398373EC.jpeg
    280.2 KB · Views: 53
  • FA488CAE-5E81-4099-A969-DE11B7755E3D.jpeg
    FA488CAE-5E81-4099-A969-DE11B7755E3D.jpeg
    275.2 KB · Views: 50
  • 3A8D4622-ACF9-46AA-ADC8-6288F3FB18B6.jpeg
    3A8D4622-ACF9-46AA-ADC8-6288F3FB18B6.jpeg
    249.5 KB · Views: 52
Some progress updates for those interested in these projects:

The south silo facade restoration is nearing completion. Scaffolding will start coming down next month, which will finally afford a public preview of these finished results. Some before and after photos below. At grade demo work to open the the pedestrian ‘portal’ between the silos also starts next month.

The north silo RFQ went live on Tuesday (FYI: open to pre-qualified bidders only, so am not promoting this call here, just sharing for interest). The start of that work in early 2023 will dovetail with completion of the south silo work.

Facade restoration has also started for the Canada Ireland Foundations’s Corleck arts centre project. Here you see the brick’s original yellow colour re-emerging from 70 years of grime. Some local architectural history trivia: this is the same yellow brick used at the RC Harris water treatment plant.

Construction drawings and specifications for the new PFS Studio-designed waterfront park and plaza (that stitches all this work together) are well advanced. We remain on schedule for a winter tender process and spring mobilization. Sharing a favourite paving detail below (FYI: landscaping not rendered in this shot; this is just for paving detail review). We’re sourcing the same Irish limestone used in Ireland Park to create a formal connection (as seen below) from the new plaza, through an existing opening in the monument at the park’s western edge, and into Ireland Park itself. This pathway also aligns with the light column in the park that hasn’t worked for years, but which will also be repaired through this project.

Finally, some early investigative work (DSS and a Phase I ESA) starts this month for the planned signature new park east of the silos (as announced in June). Much more to share on that process early in the new year.

8AC5629F-A889-47FA-B076-6A5BD90848DA.jpeg
00534C49-4FC2-4533-8A5C-4D7ACD4CB08D.jpeg
960DC41F-6A17-4027-B81A-FE09E6D2ED51.jpeg
3BE20F82-4B98-4724-9F0C-F77E625059CE.jpeg

Wow, this all looks so great. I am really late to this project, but I think more importantly most Torontonians have no idea this is happening and it just looks so so promising!

Back