Knock yourself out

Councillor Pam McConnell
councillor_mcconnell@toronto.ca
Pam McConnell has been trying to find a way to use public money (from s 37 funds) to help light private (but almost 'civic') buildings like St James. Not quite sure where this is but it probably needs support from OTHER Councillors so I would write to any Councillor you know.

I should think lots of people would oppose public funds being given to a wealthy organization that discriminates against homosexuals. I know I would.
The Anglican church is very open regarding Homosexuality, is it not?

I believe they do same-sex marriages in church.

I should think lots of people would oppose public funds being given to a wealthy organization that discriminates against homosexuals. I know I would.

Well, the public paid for the lighting, the public can decide how it is lit up <nudge nudge> :)

california_wide-26c26a11025918b4d280b37f380bb6222800a644-s900-c85.jpg

(via Jeff Chiu/AP /NPR: http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...es-can-resume-in-california-as-stay-is-lifted)

AoD

I don't think the gay issue would prevent the City from using Section 37 funds to light up the Cathedral, given its historic status. Their religious beliefs and practices alone do not constitute discrimination against homosexuals (but they could not, just to name a random example, insist that the firms designing and installing the lights not employ LGBT staff to work on the project). Section 37 funds were used to help restore and expand the parish hall at the rear of the site.

Returning to topic, are the Dineen Building and the relocated Elgin Building lit up at night. As part of the Bay Adelaide project, are there plans (requirements?) to light the relocated and restored facade?

That's a shame. Call me old fashioned but I always wanted a 'church' wedding.
This in Wiki. Talk about the speed of change! Afraid you may have a long wait Filip, maybe best go elsewhere.

At the General Synod on July 6, 2013, the Anglican Church Of Canada made the decision to vote on the issue of same sex marriage at the following Synod in 2016. The vote that is slated to take place at the 2016 Synod would decide whether or not to change the Church's canon on marriage, and “to allow the marriage of same-sex couples in the same way as opposite sex couples.” If the vote at the 2016 Synod is in favour of changing the marriage canon, it will then require a second vote at the following Synod in 2019 in order for the canon to be changed to allow for same sex marriage. The General Synod of the Anglican Church Of Canada normally meets every three years.

- See more at: http://www.anglicanjournal.com/articles/same-sex-marriage-vote-in-2016#sthash.CBa6OLbe.dpuf

How is it not discrimination against homosexuals? It might not be an offence under the Human Rights Code, but it is still discrimination.

I don't want to get into a discussion that veers off-topic from Bay Adelaide East, but I was talking about legal discrimination (given that the context was Section 37 funds). Personally, I don't see it as discrimination in a non-legal sense of the word either, although frankly probably that just leads us into a debate over the meaning of the word "discrimination". Happy to have a discussion about this in a different thread (possibly in the Politics & Diplomacy forum), but I've done saying what I'll say here just because we are now veering way OT (even the Section 37 discussion wasn't really on topic).

I note that the Bay Adelaide concourse now has black curtains, instead of the previous hoarding, separating the existing concourse from the new concourse under Bay Adelaide East. Is there a timeline for the opening of the concourse/PATH expansion that anyone has seen?

The curtains have been up for a few weeks now - at least since Labour Day. I haven't been through in a while. Have they finished the ceiling yet?

[Note ability to converse politely on a variety of topics]

Back