I am not sure if this project can go any slower... I drove by the site today at around 4:30 and everyone was gone home already!

Attachments

• SDC11919.jpg
    SDC11919.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 250
Not sure if anyone knows, but the latest condo guide says this is under construction (I think just referring to the two shorter towers), and skyscraperpage.com has the tallest tower listed as under construction. Does anyone know what is happening with the taller tower? My understanding was it still hadn't been approved and maybe they have made an error.

my understanding is that the third tower (Star Tower) has received final approval ... the Final Planning Staff Recommendation Report went to Etobicoke Community Council on March 26, 2009 followed by an endorsement (approval in principal) by City Council on April 6, 2009.

The following motions were adopted by City Council on April 6, 2009:
  1. City Council amend the Official Plan substantially in accordance with the draft Official Plan Amendment attached as Attachment 6.
  2. City Council amend the Zoning Code for the former City of Etobicoke substantially in accordance with the Zoning By-law amendments described in this report.
  3. City Council authorize the City Solicitor to make such stylistic and technical changes to the draft Official Plan Amendment and draft Zoning By-law Amendment as may be required, in consultation with City Planning, Building Division, and the Toronto and Region Conservation Authority.
  4. City Council require the owner to enter into a Section 37 Agreement to secure community benefits as outlined in this report and summarized in Attachment 7, prior to introducing the necessary Bills to City Council for enactment.

Source: http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2009/cc/decisions/2009-04-06-cc33-dd.htm

Enacting By-laws were then brought forward in the following meeting and adopted by City Council on April 30, 2009, effectively implementing the Official Plan and Zoning By-law Amendments.

OPA: By-law 500-2009
ZBA: By-law 501-2009

Assuming there were no appeals filed within the 20 days appeal period following April 30th ... the above By-laws should now be in full force and effect, meaning that the OPA and ZBA has been approved. Now the only thing outstanding should be Site Plan Approval. :)

Notwithstanding the above, construction on site is currently limited to only the first 2 towers ~

Thank you for your compliments ProjectEnd ... I can only try to be informative ~ :)

Thanks Solaris. I was wondering if I should update the 400 foot list to this being under construction. Can anyone confirm if this is what has happened?

The new (August) Condo Guide only lists the first two phases as 'under construction' so I think it's fine as it is for now.

Backhoes are digging furiously at the Star tower portion of the site. I'll try and take some photos.

Offtopic, but this is one thing that really irks me about where I live... WHERE IS THE GODDAMN RETAIL!? You have that windswept plaza beside Humber Loop which is inaccessible unless you have a car then again has decent necessities, then you have the Mimico Lakeshore strip which by all accounts is a collection of sketchy dollar stores and Russian/Polish markets (I do love them though as they sell products from the old country).. No clothing retailers, no coffee shops... What this area really needs is a good shot in the arm when it comes to creating an actual community and not a yuppie waterfront ghetto that has to get into a car to stroll/shop even though right outside their door is some of the finest waterfront promenades in the city. Frustrating, I know, and I do blame the city for not putting their foot down by insisting on retail in all condos built here.

My ideal situation would be if Christie's ever dies, develop something akin the Shops at Don Mills. This area desperately needs something like this. Or, wait until the imminent gentrification of western Mimico begins. Eastern Mimico is yuppie, western Mimico is bordering on trailer trash. Quite the opposites, right?

Last edited:
I agree with you, but to be fair, this project, South Beach up the road on Park Lawn, and the future condos to be built along Lakeshore where the last few motels are will all have retail.

I agree with you, but to be fair, this project, South Beach up the road on Park Lawn, and the future condos to be built along Lakeshore where the last few motels are will all have retail.

My friend's mom bought a unit in Beyond the Sea north tower, and she told me the developers are being picky about who they're going to allow in the retail portion. She keeps saying they said a Starbucks for sure (the harbinger of impending gentrification).

South tower's footprint + digging for Star Tower

IMG_2413.jpg

North tower's footprint

IMG_2414.jpg

View down Legion Rd. to the lake

IMG_2423.jpg

Solaris: do you know the status of the city park going up directly north of this? It's been nearly a decade since they tore down the filtration plant on the site and they've been promising this park for a good 6 years now!

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics Filip! I wish they had a live webcam feed on site, it would be a lot easier for me to follow from here :D

I was hoping there would be some sort of a coffee shop near by, I guess Starbucks will do :)

Do you know if your friends mom has a tentative moving date from Empire yet or is it too early in the game?

Solaris: do you know the status of the city park going up directly north of this? It's been nearly a decade since they tore down the filtration plant on the site and they've been promising this park for a good 6 years now!

Thanks for the photo updates Filip ~

with respect to the parkland north of Beyond the Sea, I am not aware of the timing on the City's park delivery plans ... however I was under the impression this parkland was going to stay as conservation lands (with trails), rather than a traditional neighbourhood park ... it may be best to call up Michael McCart in City Planning @ 416.394.8228 to inquire and get a confirmed answer :)

noticed while driving past beyond the sea that they are just short of reaching grade level.

regarding retail and decent coffee in mimico - if you travel a few minutes west on lakeshore - just west of mimico ave there's birds and beans (organic java). new resto's are starting to pop up -- cafe du lac -- www.cafedulac.ca and the indian resto next door are both worth your time and $.... haven't tried the new waffle spot just west of mimico ave but looks interesting. gave 'eden' a go for breakfast (marine paraade dr.)probably won't be going back. a starbucks would be nice though - which is only a matter of time.

christies fyi - not going anywhere anytime soon. last conversation i had with councillor grimes, he indicated nope - they are spending millions to stay. we'll see. christies and the food terminal are both ripe for redevelopment.

Back