201622-humber-cinema.jpg

Humber Cinema could be replaced by condos

From this link and link:

Development Update:
2442-2454 Bloor Street West Pre-Application Consultation

Plazacorp has approached my office to inform me they plan to submit an application to the Planning Department for a 14-storey development at 2442-2454 Bloor Street West (the Humber Odeon site). I have asked that they hold a community meeting prior to submitting this application, to hear our thoughts and concerns. They have agreed to meet, on site, on Monday, February 8.

Date: Monday February 8th
Time: 6:30 PM - 8:30 PM

While this is Plazacorp's meeting, I will attend along with City Planning Staff. The City-organized consultation will still take place after the official application is received. Please come out to let the developer hear your thoughts before they apply.

Please note that the barrier free entrance to the cinema is from the Green P parking lot off of Riverview Gardens.

The curtains might be set to draw on the Humber Cinema as developer Plazacorp has announced its intentions to build a 14-storey condo tower on the site of the movie theatre at Bloor and Jane streets. One of the original Odeon theatres in Toronto, the Humber opened in 1948.

The proposed development is still in its earliest stages with a community meeting scheduled at the cinema on Monday, February 8 to discuss plans for the site. City staff have yet to review what Plazacorp has in mind for the Humber, which means the development will also be subject to a lengthy approvals process.

Despite closing due to poor attendance in 2003, a major restoration effort in 2011 brought back some of the cinema's former glory. It's unclear at present if any of the existing theatre would be retained as part of redevelopment plans.

Most of the stores on that block are vacant now, so it was only a matter of time before it was redeveloped. It would be a shame to lose the interior of the theatre, though I'd imagine it would be difficult to incorporate.

Wasn't there a proposal about 10 years ago for condos on this site? I can't recall the name, but it never got off the ground.

Yes, it was by HPA and was for the Humber Cinemas site alone. This new proposal will cover the land from the cinema all the way over to Riverview Gardens.

Wonder if there's a chance that the development could include a cinema or two on the first floor or basement of the condo development? Probably not these days.

Wonder if there's a chance that the development could include a cinema or two on the first floor or basement of the condo development? Probably not these days.

I hope this condo will maintain the high quality that 1 and 2 Old Mill started. However, it is really part of Bloor West Village (1 and 2 Old Mill were just outside). I'm hoping they make sure there is retail on the lower floor (and it's too bad that I assume Starbucks will be one tenant...Jane is about the only subway stop in Toronto without one nearby).

They should include provision for an access point to the Jane Subway Station, and maybe an underground connection to the future Jane LRT.

I believe that Jane station is fully to the east of Jane Street, and there is another building to the east of this one at the corner of Bloor and Jane (a medical suites building, and one of the uglier hunks of crud in the city). If it were ever to be redeveloped (please Arbor Memorial, do the right thing), that building would make sense to have provision for a station connection.

Humber.jpg

Attachments

• Humber.jpg
    Humber.jpg
    374.3 KB · Views: 1,880
They should include provision for an access point to the Jane Subway Station, and maybe an underground connection to the future Jane LRT.
That would be the common sense thing to do, but I highly doubt that either of those things would ever happen.

Oh ye gods, Plazacorp. You just know this proposal is going to be a cheap piece of garbage. G&C guaranteed.

That would be the common sense thing to do, but I highly doubt that either of those things would ever happen.
No it wouldn't, it's not close enough to bother. Bloor and Jane are not likely to see another PATH system.

Oh ye gods, Plazacorp. You just know this proposal is going to be a cheap piece of garbage. G&C guaranteed.

Well sure, except that Plazacorp don't use G+C.

It's been a long time since I've seen it on the site, but we always used to rate their work as Good Quadrangle or Bad Quadrangle. I suppose everyone can decide for themselves who Plaza have hired from job to job.

judging from the UT DataBase it would certainly appear that Plaza have very much heavily relied on Quadrangle Architects instead, further I see that they have not been using G+C, Kirkor, P+S in their portfolio thus far

Back