As far as theatres go the major loss is that of a smaller to mid-sized commercial theatre in the core. Not all shows can hope to fill 2,000-seat theatres every night but this does not mean they can't be viable given the right house.

What? The city is already supporting more theatres than the two you mentioned.

Also, the Diesel Playhouse catered to a completely different kind of audience than either of those theatres.

On that strip, I only count 2 theatres. :rolleyes:

We already have well over three theatres. Last I checked we were third in the amount of musical theatre after London and NYC. Some others include Massey Hall, Ford Centre, Panasonic theatre, and I am sure I am missing some. Would be nice to keep our existing ones as well as add some.

The conversation was about mixed use in this area. Those theatres you mention are not on this strip of King. They aren't even on King.

Last edited:

The conversation was about mixed use in this area. Those theatres you mention are not on this strip of King. They aren't even on King.

My bad I assumed when you said Toronto, you meant...well Toronto. :rolleyes:

Why does it matter where in the city they are? Do you think theatregoers were torn between Evil Dead and Sound of Music? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

We have scarce few large theatres in our "theatre district." San Francisco and Chicago both have over a dozen big theatres clustered together. New York has something like forty on Broadway.

Last edited:
New York has something like forty on Broadway.

In the Times Square area (and many were lost during Giuliani's scrubbing of the area) but not actually on Broadway. Our "Theatre District" is really the downtown area, not really King W.

I believe this is where Charles Kabouth's Bisha boutique hotel is going, with a Lifetime Urban developed condo on top, as per http://www.urbantoronto.ca/showthread.php?t=9391 I read on Blogto.com several days ago that's the plan:

"The mystery player in the new boutique hotel game is Bisha, club impresario Charles Khabouth's partnership with Lifetime Urban Development, set to break ground on Blue Jay Way early next year. Precisely how many condo units and hotel suites it'll contain remains to be decided, along with the amenities, though Tara Hendela, director of PR for Khabouth's Ink Entertainment, says they want to fill a niche the other boutique hotels have missed. Completion date remains in the air, however, and will depend on condo sales - "If they sell and we build then in the next three years you should see a hotel," Hendela tells me."
http://www.blogto.com/city/2009/11/toronto_boutique_hotels_opening_soon_or_not/

Back