TDSB choose their own architects.

On this particular school, they also chose to spend millions of dollars providing a staff parking garage, which isn’t mandated and probably won’t get used very much.

Those decisions belong entirely to them.

On the bigger picture: this organization runs a real estate portfolio worth at least $10 billion. The fact that they can’t figure out any creative or productive ways to get value out of it is a problem. Not everything is the province’s fault.
Let me guess. School buses. If only there was a TTC bus route or underground electric railway in the area.

Let me guess. School buses. If only there was a TTC bus route or underground electric railway in the area.
Nope, sadly, it’s staff parking. 16,000-square-foot garage, not required by the city or mandated in the teachers’ contract. I got cost estimates, two years ago, of $3-million.
B1ABA656-ADDA-42E8-8F33-CDD884AF7D96.jpeg

3A7E7811-2754-4F2C-B71F-982391C6569D.jpeg

Unforgivably bad choices

On this particular school, they also chose to spend millions of dollars providing a staff parking garage, which isn’t mandated and probably won’t get used very much.

Inexcusable.

Agreed.

On the bigger picture: this organization runs a real estate portfolio worth at least $10 billion. The fact that they can’t figure out any creative or productive ways to get value out of it is a problem. Not everything is the province’s fault.

This one I'm a bit more sympathetic on; with the city growing by at a phenomenal rate, I understand a desire to hold on to currently closed school sites in case they are needed in the future; there's a lot of sense to that, given where land prices are going.

While there are school sites well suited to additional development, the number isn't so high as one might think.

Take a look at the Mid-Town area which has a school crunch. While I am on the record suggesting a landswap involving the Eglinton Public school to create some space; there are 3 other nearby Elementary schools.

Davisville is one you would have saved, which would preclude a tower there.

Oriole Park is in the middle of an sfh neighbourhood fronting side streets.

John Fisher is a heritage building on a small lot.

Likewise, if you look at the downtown sites:

Lord Lansdowne is well appreciated architecturally.

Jesse Ketchum, Brant, Central Tech , Jarvis, Rose Avenue, and Winchester would all qualify as heritage.

That doesn't leave very many sites with opportunities........maybe Church Street Public School?

Doubtless we could find some sites in suburbia that have the magical mix of a good, easy to rezone location, with transit access and no heritage qualities where something workable could happen; but I don't think those are a dime and dozen.

Choosing to build an underground garage for a school that's a stone's throw away from a subway station? Unbelievable. I can't even think of another school that has a below-grade garage. Some heads should roll for this decision. No comment from the local councilor?

Nearby there's the French Catholic highschool on Lansdowne at College. Parking lot under the field. https://goo.gl/maps/a5tr64tvJ7fsHxrb6

Bishop Marrocco / Thomas Merton at Bloor and Dundas also has a parking lot under their field: https://goo.gl/maps/LTtadNL651FCxW8U9

No idea how well they are used though.

Many schools have underground garages. What’s remarkable is that they continue to build them, including here and at Davisville PS.

As for selling sites: Toronto lands corporation, which is TDSB’s real estate agency, has plans to sell off many more sites. In my view, some of that is going to be necessary - but which ones? With what development strategy?

16669E2A-7E9A-40D0-ADAF-8B8591A9BB34.jpeg

The teachers who use the school garages or parking lots had better be charged for using them else declare them as taxable benefits.

Nearby there's the French Catholic highschool on Lansdowne at College. Parking lot under the field. https://goo.gl/maps/a5tr64tvJ7fsHxrb6

Bishop Marrocco / Thomas Merton at Bloor and Dundas also has a parking lot under their field: https://goo.gl/maps/LTtadNL651FCxW8U9

No idea how well they are used though.

Not sure about the French system; but at least the Catholic system opted to charge teachers for parking.

The TDSB has not; and my nominally progressive trustee who I wrote about to about the issue, declined to champion the idea of charging for parking.

From @Towered

Choosing to build an underground garage for a school that's a stone's throw away from a subway station? Unbelievable. I can't even think of another school that has a below-grade garage. Some heads should roll for this decision. No comment from the local councilor?

IF, the TDSB would turn over decisions about parking provision to Green P, let them assess total demand, charge market prices, and it still made sense to build underground, I'd be fine w/that.

But only under those conditions.

Harbord Collegiate and Jarvis Collegiate both have underground parking.

I'd like to see the TDSB get creative about gentle redevelopment around some schools, and to then plow the money back into the adjacent schools that need it. An example in my neighbourhood is Weston Collegiate, which has an FCI of 51%. In the graphic below, highlighted in yellow, the old tennis courts would be great opportunity to develop some, perhaps, stacked townhouses, and use the proceeds to repair both Weston Collegiate and nearby C.R. Marchant.
1629286058003.png

We used to have a gorgeous old high school, but it was replaced with the current brutalist building in the 1970s.
546489_406539662697103_146494068_n.jpg

Bloordale Beach is expected to close later this month:

In July, the TDSB proposed that a community garden that sits on border of Bloordale Beach be removed due to the new high school being built.

The garden closed down on Sept. 13, the beach is also set to close this month, so that construction can begin on the new high school, which will replace the nearby Bloor Collegiate Institute that is currently being prepared for demolition.

A petition was created on Change.org to propose the new high school to be named after Bloordale Beach.

Back