On the other side is a dry cleaner, hair salon and something else.

Some sort of small vegetarian eatery specializing in organic, Persian-inspired foods. Looks quite good, although I was a bit put off when the lady behind the counter assured me that each dish was "prepared with love"; I get a little uneasy by all that hippy-talk.

I'm glad to hear that BSN might be turning out better than expected - I have had a hard time reconciling myself to it's existence. I'll have to go by and take a peek.

Despite their claims of "High Class Whores" (or something like that), the Brass Rail doesn't exactly class-up the area. If anything, it adds to the interesting urban fabric (despite last year's shooting).

Well, reflexively at least, it may "class-up", insofar as it tends to be a top movie-star hangout come TIFF-time.

Though I don't know whether the Brass Rail's proprietorship is as upfront in neighbourhood/BIA affairs as those who run the Zanzibar or the Bloor House of Lancaster are...

Taken today:

IMG_9146.jpg

Bloor Street Neighbourhood Progress, Aug. 31, 2008

^Cladding is even more imminent than before (is there a word for that?) Now that the cookie-cutter tower portion is underway this should really pick up speed.

^All the times walking around this site, I've never really appreciated Hayden Street. It really could become quite a little gem of a street.

And I've never really noticed the blue-cladded little office building before. Love it.

^The middle-of-the-road Xerox tower reflects the past and the future.

At work on the flooring of the 19th level. 13 more to go...

DSCN3687.jpg

It looks as though they are going to deviate from the model.

The model on the previous page shows the tower portion set back from base. But it appears the west side of the tower will be flush with the west side of the 16 storey base.

based on the model pics you took previously ... the 'setback' at the 17th floor seem very minimal in the 2nd pic (maybe 2-3 feet?) ... from the 1st pic it almost does not appear to exist ... I guess Cresford figured they may as well flush align it and make more saleable floor area in BSN

For anyone who's interested in such things, it cost the developer of BSN around $200,000 to get those extra 6 floors added.

Sure that's interesting. $200,000 to line who's pockets, exactly?

$200,000 is a drop in the bucket compared to what 6 more floors of suites are worth.

based on the model pics you took previously ... the 'setback' at the 17th floor seem very minimal in the 2nd pic (maybe 2-3 feet?) ... from the 1st pic it almost does not appear to exist ... I guess Cresford figured they may as well flush align it and make more saleable floor area in BSN

I actually liked that final setback. It allowed them to treat the windows differently on the tower. I wonder if they will still do that or if the windows will follow the pattern on the lower 16 floors.

Sure that's interesting. $200,000 to line who's pockets, exactly?

$200,000 is a drop in the bucket compared to what 6 more floors of suites are worth.

$200,000 to the city for permits etc.... that would not include hard construction costs or additional soft costs for consultants/design work etc. It also doesn't likely include additional development charges, connection fees, cash-in-lieu of parkland dedication or any other taxes to the provincial and federal governments.

Back