Well I stand corrected then... not. All joking aside, you can find just about anything to eat on the streets of Manhattan... that's pretty 'major' right? In Toronto you're lucky to find a tube steak.

I only walked from Jarvis to Yonge, but found about 20-25 London Plane trees that have been sawed off about at about the 4' mark. Many of these I know died shortly after being planted 2 years ago so I presume that's why all of them were cut down. Hopefully they'll be replaced in between the tulips and whatever is planted next. They had much better luck with the crop of London Planes that were planted west of Yonge during the 2nd & 3rd phase of plantings, though I recall a few that didn't make it there either.
Sorry for the crappy iPhone snaps, I didn't have my Canon on me & the 3GS just doesn't cut it - I'm upgrading to iPhone 5 once it comes out this fall & will be able to grab better quality pics. when I don't have my Canon on me.

Last edited:
I heard briar de Lange say that they will be replacing dead trees. I didn't know it was so hard to get these trees going in the city. Can be costly.

As mentioned above, all the ones west of Yonge look fine ! With foliage on them to boot now.

A friend of mine and student of Sam Benvie, Ryerson Professor of the Landscape Design and a tree expert, thought it very silly that london plane trees were planted along Bloor. The species graces many European avenues, and thus has cache, however its ill-suited to our climate, especially on a street with a lot of shadowing like Bloor. He said there would be a very high mortality rate and wished they'd gone with a more sensible native species that wouldn't need frequent replacement. Looks like he knew what he was talking about.

I heard briar de Lange say that they will be replacing dead trees. I didn't know it was so hard to get these trees going in the city. Can be costly.

Last edited:
From wikipedia:

The London plane is very tolerant of atmospheric pollution and root compaction, and for this reason it is a popular urban roadside tree. It is now extensively cultivated in most temperate latitudes as an ornamental and parkland tree, and is a commonly planted tree in cities throughout the temperate regions of the world, not just London but Auckland, Buenos Aires, Curitiba, New York City, Paris, Madrid, Melbourne, Mannheim, Shanghai, Nanjing, Chicago, Sydney, Rybnik and many others. It has a greater degree of winter cold tolerance than the Oriental Plane, and is less susceptible to anthracnose disease than the American Plane. The seeds are used as a food source by some finches and squirrels.

I'm quite new to gardening and tree transplanting (I've been trying to clone an Upright European Aspen for over a year now), but what I understand is the larger the tree the harder it is for them to survive transplanting. It could be just a matter of odds.
Maybe the next batch might be a bit younger. (yonge-r?) Especially now, presuming the budget is already gone.

I only walked from Jarvis to Yonge, but found about 20-25 London Plane trees that have been sawed off about at about the 4' mark. Many of these I know died shortly after being planted 2 years ago so I presume that's why all of them were cut down. Hopefully they'll be replaced in between the tulips and whatever is planted next. They had much better luck with the crop of London Planes that were planted west of Yonge during the 2nd & 3rd phase of plantings, though I recall a few that didn't make it there either.
Sorry for the crappy iPhone snaps, I didn't have my Canon on me & the 3GS just doesn't cut it - I'm upgrading to iPhone 5 once it comes out this fall & will be able to grab better quality pics. when I don't have my Canon on me.

not bad pics at all... it's just too bad the northeast corner is still so fugly.

You won't find a deader part of Bloor Street at night than the revitalized part. Perhaps it was part of the plan to have all the night time activity concentrated up on Cumberland and Yorkville, or it was just coincidence that all the Bloor Street cinemas and restos in that stretch closed at around the same time. But if the goal was for homogenous high end retail only, mission accomplished.

You won't find a deader part of Bloor Street at night than the revitalized part. Perhaps it was part of the plan to have all the night time activity concentrated up on Cumberland and Yorkville, or it was just coincidence that all the Bloor Street cinemas and restos in that stretch closed at around the same time. But if the goal was for homogenous high end retail only, mission accomplished.

It's a shopping street to a partying one. The same thing happens on Michigan ave inchicago. Packed and buzzing during the day and quiet in the evenings when the stores close. The party moves elsewhere.

Moreover, even with the few restaurants that used to be on the strip in the past ... it was pretty dead at night as well ...

Don't think this reno has done much in terms of that. It sounds like you're referring to Yonge and Bloor, more specifically, south on Yonge. I agree there's less night life there today due to the lack of the theater and a few clubs.

Hopefully this is not a sign of things to come:

img0692ye.jpg

On top of that there is a slab a little bit west of Yonge on the north side of Bloor that alway seemed to be cracked / broken.

Back