I can't say it's a huge personal priority to me; but if they want to continue investing in the streetscape, I'm still holding out for replacing the tin can high-mast street lights w/something more elegant.

If there's money to be spent, I would much rather see it used to extend the same street treatment westward (at least) to Spadina, and east to Sherbourne. Bloor from Avenue west has some very handsome buildings and of course a couple of critical cultural institutions, and deserves better.

A 'heavily forested looking' Bloor Street just east of Yonge. When the designers came up with the plan for the revitalization of Bloor I'm sure they envisioned something like this scene.

bloorrevits1618.jpg

Attachments

• bloorrevits1618.jpg
    bloorrevits1618.jpg
    459.1 KB · Views: 2,067
The rest of what they did does not have that “forestation” look ?
The sidewalks east of Yonge are wider, with two rows of trees in parts, and a little more sunlight getting down there too.

This is substantially improved over past years.

However, sadly, the trees in the Yonge-Bay section are again struggling. There are many fewer as there are currently none in front of Manulife, but of those that remain about 1/2 are showing significant die-back.

Looking at the pic above, I remain hopeful that the bike lanes will be put through here at some point, and that that will free up enough space that they could be physically separated from traffic by landscaped planters.

Should that be the case, that would cut down on salt exposure for the trees and would add tremendously to the aesthetics of this stretch.

Too much salt is used in this city, basically killing whatever nutrient positive soil available. Add the fact that city is extremely negligent when it comes to tree maintenance. Overall, it is a surprise that we have the number of trees that we do. So many areas are littered with stumps, of trees that have perished due to neglect, and lack of care. While we aren't blessed with an abundance of warm weather, trees are reflected in a good portion of our season's and should be considered as imperative components to a healthy and green city.

Well when you have a city government that insists on keeping budgets below the inflation rate you don't have much left for stuff like trees.

Single worst bit on Bloor for trees is definitely the section immediately in front of 1 Bloor East.

3 dead trees in row. :(

The dead trees have been replaced both sides of Bloor St on the block east of Yonge.

Benito, where's my picture? :)

Hmm, trees were dead on Sunday, so they replaced them yesterday? Replacing trees in June would normally be highly inadvisable.

Benito, where's my picture? :)

Hmm, trees were dead on Sunday, so they replaced them yesterday? Replacing trees in June would normally be highly inadvisable.

Sorry I didn't take a photo, and the new trees did look a bit wilted which is understandable. Given how cool it has been hopefully the timing of the planting will be fine.

Sorry I didn't take a photo, and the new trees did look a bit wilted which is understandable. Given how cool it has been hopefully the timing of the planting will be fine.

No worries, LOL; I just couldn't resist given your photographic tendencies.

As to to the trees, temperature/moisture are part of the reason summer transplants are discouraged, but its also that the plant is at maximum energy output, and for transplant the roots will have been substantially cut.

That's hard on the plant and increases the risk of transplant shock.

But hopefully they'll get lucky here.

Back