... march over the crumbling sidewalks and pot-marked roads of a 'city beautiful' Toronto ;)

"Concrete path? So the building you are referring to is not along the section of sidewalk that is now made of granite? Can you give us any clearer hints please?"

Interchange, perhaps I should have been more specific in stating that the anecdote I was recounting was not on the stretch of Bloor Street we are discussing here. I was addressing the wider issue being discussed with respect to sidewalk repair. There are clearly problems in the system. A sidewalk patch not deemed a public safety threat can only be expected to be repaired within a 2 year time frame.

uhh... i think ford's a #$&#^ idiot and voted smitherman... who isn't much better, either. You can find I've articulated my position on politics on these forums many times before. 85% of Toronto voted either for a high school dropout or a teabagger.

But with the sidewalk, maybe I haven't lived in Toronto long enough, but I just don't see what was so wrong with Bloor St. before. If someone has any before/after pics, it would be helpful, but as of now, I'm kinda scratching my head. I don't really care if the City of Toronto pays for it or doesn't.

Last edited:
But with the sidewalk, maybe I haven't lived in Toronto long enough, but I just don't see what was so wrong with Bloor St. before. If someone has any before/after pics, it would be helpful, but as of now, I'm kinda scratching my head. I don't really care if the City of Toronto pays for it or doesn't.

It looks incredible compared to how it used to look, it will really shine late next spring and summer once the trees and flowers are planted. If you want to see the bare mass of concrete and asphalt as it was prior, check out Google Maps and scroll along or check out most any other sidewalk downtown and compare.

well, reading more about the project

"Bloor Street will boast extensive tree plantings in innovative and sustainable soil cell systems, widened granite sidewalks, seasonal flowerbeds and attractive up-lighting for each tree."

this sounds pretty good but to be honest I'm a lot more excited about the parts of project that aren't granite sidewalks. Like, sure it's a nice touch, but it doesn't really look that different or that much better than what was before. I guess that was the reason for my reaction to the shots posted in the thread. There didn't seem to be anything different other than the sidewalks, which really aren't that impressive.

So you are just basing your decision on how this works just on photos? Go down and check it out for yourself, and then see if you don't feel that the granite is a huge improvement over what was there.

this is impressive improvment...especially this past summe with all the flowers...made HUGE difference to the whole strip.
Just take a walk at night time from Bloor to Church...with the tree pot lights on...This will only get better as the final touches are done here. Im sure benches will follow soon...and some art display.

uhh... i think ford's a #$&#^ idiot and voted smitherman... who isn't much better, either. You can find I've articulated my position on politics on these forums many times before. 85% of Toronto voted either for a high school dropout or a teabagger.

It all depends on the kind of city Toronto wants to be and how we see ourselves in the world. If Torontonians are happy to just be a large city, like any other big city in North America, then having adequate public spaces, is just fine but is "just fine" good enough? If Toronto is Canada's premiere city and a showcase for the best that Canada has to offer, shouldn't we strive to raise the bar a little higher? I see Toronto as one of the great emerging cities in North America, which is why I want this city to have the best of everything. I also want us to have our own, distinctive look, style and feel. Of course, the cost has to be within our means but we are a wealthy city, so we can afford to spend a bit for quality design and materials. The utilitarian city is not a tag I'd want to place on this city. If you're gonna do something, do it right.

If Bloor Street can get this kind of makeover, why not Yorkville? With all the retail in Yorkville (not to mention luxury hotels & condos) you would think there would be a push to redo the streets and put in some lush vegetation. Yorkville is OK but it could be a whole lot better. I'd like to see a distinctive look to identify the whole district.

Yorkville proper is a pretty huge area to upgrade. The area most known to be associated as Yorkville (Bay Street to Avenue Road, Bloor to Yorkville Ave) could use some TLC perhaps as a phase two of the project that is wrapping up now but it's not too bad. Bay & Avenue Rd definitely need some attention, Cumberland Ave. has interlocking bricks along most of the street, the park and water feature behind 110 Bloor is very attractive but the sidewalks are not very wide so it would be tough greening it up much more. Yorkville Ave. boasts many trees along the street and the little park near Yonge Street so it's not too bad, unique street lighting for the area would be another plus.

Once people start naturally staying within the renewed area, retailers outside of it will see the need to compete to attract customers.

I know from personal experience that when walking around the Magnificent Mile in Chicago, when I went to areas outside the district, the lack of trees, cracked sidewalks and other subtle differences made me fee like I wandered outside of an invisible area. I instantly felt less safe, less interested and had a feeling that the shops outside of this area weren't as nice as the ones within it. It was a natural instinct. The number of people turning back indicated that the feeling was shared by others.

Yorkville proper is next. Stay tuned for an announcement soon after (or even before) the ribbon is cut.

Back