Yes there is good access to this site. 3 streets. I don't think the plans for the Bloor Revitalization really affects plans for the construction.

BLOOR STREET

Construction Update

February 5, 2009

Bloor Street Transformation Update

Yonge St. to Church St .

Removal of the fencing on the south side of Bloor Street , between St. Paul ’s Square and Park Road , will begin today. Snow clearing efforts will commence this evening, while removal of stored materials, will continue over the weekend. Weather permitting, the blue fencing will be moved to the north side of Bloor Street , on Monday, February 9, 2009.

Traffic will be moved to the south side of the street, with one lane in each direction, while pedestrian access will be maintained to the private property portions, at all times.

The contractor will commence with work on catch basins and hydro vaults, within the enclosed area. Major excavation work, to install the tree pit system (soil cells) and granite pavement, will not commence until late March, when the weather begins to improve.

We have had many inquiries regarding the large white tents, which have been erected on the south side of Bloor Street East . This enclosure is necessary to maintain a temperature, which allows for the installation of granite to occur within a controlled environment. Heating of the enclosure ensures a minimum threshold temperature, necessary for the adhesion of the granite pavers, and the curing process.

Yonge Street to Avenue Road:

Currently, Powerline Plus (PLP), continues working on the Toronto Hydro infrastructure, located predominantly on the north side of the street, in the curb lane. PLP expects to complete their work by mid-February.

Please Note – These construction schedules have been provided to us by the City contractor. Given the extent and complexity of the project, changes to the schedule may occur.

BLOOR STREET • TRANSFORMATION PROJECT

55 Bloor Street West, Suite 220, Toronto , Ontario M4W 1A5 • TEL 416.928.3553 • FAX 416.928.2034

Speaking of Bloor Street, what exactly is going on at Williams-Sonoma? It looks like they're building something there (and it's been that way since fall), but no construction is being done.

i was advocating that this thread, as well as sherbourne park, be moved into the projects and construction section. i think they would be receiving for more updates considering the importance of both developments. anyone agree?

Yes T&I would be a more proper forum, and also should be named just simply Bloor Street Revitalization.

i have to disagree with both of you. while the road is being altered slightly, the bloor revitalization is primarily an enhancement of public space, namely, the sidewalk. this project is meant to benefit pedestrians. i don't think new trees, public art and granite sidewalks constitute transportation and infrastructure. this development is meant to make bloor more enjoyable in the same sense as, in my opinion, a park.

A sidewalk is for pedestrians.
Cars are for vehicles.
Roads are infrastructure, are sidewalks not?

"The contractor will commence with work on catch basins and hydro vaults, within the enclosed area. Major excavation work, to install the tree pit system (soil cells) and granite pavement, will not commence until late March, when the weather begins to improve."

They are also doing lots of work underground.

Granite sidewalk spray-painted!!!

The brand-new, granite sidewalk on Bloor, east of Church, has been spray-painted bright orange by city crews, another blatant example of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing in this city.

Please join me in bringing this to attention of:

Bloor-Yorkville BIA
E-mail: bybia@bloor-yorkville.com
Tel: (416) 928-3553

Councillor Kyle Rae
councillor_rae@toronto.ca
Phone: 416-392-7903
Fax: 416-696-4300

Executive Assistant
Ryan Lahr
416-392-7903
rlahr@toronto.ca

Executive Assistant
Mark Wilson
416-392-7903
mwilson5@toronto.ca

Administrative Assistant
Joyce Scheurwater
416-392-7903
jscheur@toronto.ca

and possibly:

www.thestar.com/thefixer

chume@thestar.ca

Was it the City or one of the private firms who map underground utilities? Either way it's not good but it MAY not be the City.

Edit: Oh nevermind. It's nothing at all what I thought it was going to be.

Last edited:
Check out (pictures included):
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=834724

KGB has a really good post explaining the need of this "spray paint" and how it'll likely just be cleaned off. (post #26)

- as a side note ... I've seen people cleaning off this "spray paint" in person before. It does come out relatively easily.
Which makes sense ... if you stop and think about - otherwise you'd see this stuff everywhere, which you don't.

There is a much needed use of "spray paint" on the sidewalks. It is for utility locating which is mandatory under the occupational health and safety act for any excavation. The individual on SSC must not know anything as this paint dissappears way to quickly as you will hear most contractors complain about. The problem is it dissappears and they still continue to dig with only the locate paperwork. What this individual should do is not complain about the paint but actually if he sees a contractor digging and there is no paint on the ground. If these occasions anyone can call Ontario One Call (1-800-400-2255) which is open 24/7 and report the contractor as this is illegal and how people die due to negligence and laziness. Another point is that contractor's are not allowed to dig by mechnical means within 1.0m of the marks until all utilities show on the locate paperwork are exposed. Believe it or not Utility Damages account for millions of dollars annually in the Toronto area. I apologize for the rant but it is a huge problem that happens way too often.

After 50 or so years, the indentation on Bloor just east of Yonge has been filled in.

bloort1.jpg

Back