ShonTron

Member Bio
Reaction score
An overly ambitious redevelopment proposal in the pre-consultation stage for the southwest corner of Queen Street and Highway 410 in Brampton.

The property is currently a large shopping plaza that dates back to the 1970s, with later additions. At one time it had a K-Mart (later a Sears outlet store) and a Loblaws Superstore, an early attempt at a hypermarket (it is smaller now, as a No Frills). The old K-Mart store was demolished a few years ago.

The applicant is seeking to redevelop the entire site, with 15 buildings, with 7 phases, with the tallest building being 68 storeys. The grocery store would be relocated but remain in continuous operation. There would be a public park and public streets. 6629 residential units and 8174 parking spaces (surface and garages).

I called this one overly ambitious as it's a hell of a lot of density, without a satisfying site plan. Though there's a local Brampton Transit Route 1/8 bus stop at the plaza entrance (at the existing Burger King), it's quite the walk to the 501 Zum bus stop at Rutherford Road, where I would expect the future BRT stop to go. The 410 and the interchange provide significant barriers to active transportation. There's no space given to schools, daycares, and the retail space is limited. So I'm hoping staff tear this apart and force a better site plan.

Bramrose 1.jpg
Bramrose 2.jpg
Bramrose 3.jpg
Bramrose 4.jpg

Thanks @ShonTron, I always appreciate your familiarity with Brampton.

Will the 68 storey tower be the tallest in Brampton? Also, how is school capacity in the area?

This is halfway between Downtown Brampton and Bramalea City Centre and right on a motorway. Great location.

I am loving the architecture. If there's some way we can shift this proposal near a GO station or something then it would make more sense. If there was an LRT on Queen street it'd be more feasible.

I am loving the architecture. If there's some way we can shift this proposal near a GO station or something then it would make more sense. If there was an LRT on Queen street it'd be more feasible.
...gotta feeling all those are place holders though. /sigh

As of right zoning only matters to real projects. These would continue as long as zoning changes add tens of millions to the property's valuation. Unless, what you are saying is a combination of as of right and strict land use such as a hard cap on FSI

As of right means a lot less proposals for urbantoronto.

Back