From many perspectives, it doesn't that good. Its immense size and the dominant metal panel cladding give it an overpowering and harshly industrial look.

It is ironic that an architect like Jack Diamond who prides himself on making efficient "background" buildings that complement local surroundings would build such a monolith.

First time posting; been lurking for a while.

I wanted to comment on the building from the inside, as my mother was a patient during the move from the old building to the new. She was doing rehab after back surgery and was thrilled by the new facilities. She had first been at the old building for this surgery and had also previously been at Providence at Warden and St. Clair for surgery rehab in 2012. What a difference!

All the rooms are lovely and big and airy with lots of space to sit by the windows. Her room was the same size as her room at the old building, but there were only two people in it rather that 4. Made it so much easier to negotiate a walker for her and a wheelchair for her roomie. Lots of storage space which is important for patients that are there for weeks or months. And each room shared a roll-in shower room with the room next door (except they hadn't yet installed the rubber strip on the bottom of the door, so there were a couple of floods...but they were slowly fixing all the little things; someone was in every few days to do some little installation).

The physio/exercise room faced west with huge windows, and she enjoyed her physio so much more being able to look out at the cityscape. Her floor had a few different common rooms, either with TV or not, so patients had places to go and visit, rather than just one on her floor at the old place (with a TV where everyone was green, including the Simpsons). Her room faced east, so the view was of the construction site, but she liked seeing what was going on and looking at the architecture of the old buildings.

So from one patient's perspective, it was a fantastic place.

The only drive-by photo of the day where I actually had my camera handy:

qOobfvY.jpg

Soop:

Thank you for your report from the inside - and all the best to your mom's recovery.

re: shared rooms - there is a general movement away from that in all the new hospitals (e.g. Humber River Regional) for many reasons, including infection control.

AoD

Driving down the DVP today, I mentioned the downbeat reviews of the building from posters here, and Mrs. RRR was almost ranting as she disagreed. The building may be too imposing for some, but it's sure as hell better than the other towers that loom over the valley (i.e. the apartments on the west side at Gerrard.) It will look a LOT better when the old hospital is gone, as it will be a shot of sparkling glass rising out of the trees.

FWIW, I'm a fan of the cladding, as well. I think it's quite beautiful with all the contrasting shapes and colours.

Driving down the DVP today, I mentioned the downbeat reviews of the building from posters here, and Mrs. RRR was almost ranting as she disagreed. The building may be too imposing for some, but it's sure as hell better than the other towers that loom over the valley (i.e. the apartments on the west side at Gerrard.) It will look a LOT better when the old hospital is gone, as it will be a shot of sparkling glass rising out of the trees.

FWIW, I'm a fan of the cladding, as well. I think it's quite beautiful with all the contrasting shapes and colours.

+1. Don't take people's criticism here too seriously though. The general attitude is far too pessimistic and gloomy to afford any healthy discussion.

FYI, the discussion on this thread had been quite healthy. However, I am not so sure about a comment goading others to ignore negative comments belong in that category.

AoD

17 June 2005:
It stands at the end of my street, I've visited patients there, I donated my late partner's little aquarium for use in one of their lounges, and it has a remarkably relaxed and non-institutional feeling to it. It is handsome, it has art, it has style. Regardless of how fine the replacement is, if this building goes I'll be sad. And a bit mad.

I remember when you posted that so long ago! But how does the US feel today?
ykcy.jpg

va7o.jpg

e15d.jpg

And now it gets interesting ....

Workers from PCL Constructors Inc. have since set up green construction hoarding around the circa 1958 building, which is also known as The Don Jail or simply The Don.

In about two week’s time, asbestos assessment and abatement work will be among the steps undertaken in preparation for the building’s demolition. Crews will then begin removing windows, large equipment and other materials from the inside of the former jail.

“The demolition will start from the inside out,†said Walsh, noting the goal is to completely demolish the structure by April 30.

“There’s no historical value to the property. It’s not an architecturally significant building in any way.â€

Once leveled, a road named Blue Rodeo Way will be built on a sliver of land where the former Toronto Don Jail connected to the Old Don Jail, which was built in 1864 and has recently been repurposed to house administrative offices and the Bridgepoint Collaboratory for Research and Innovation.

The remainder of the Don Jail property, known as Block ‘D’, will be considered for future development, while another road – Bridgepoint Drive – which will lead to the front of the new hospital, is planned for just above this parcel.

A large parking lot just south-west of the Toronto Jail site will be home to a new City of Toronto-owned park.

Capture.JPG

This will have a huge impact on what happens at that whole messy Broadview-Gerrard intersection which is looking truly awful lately.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 639
Thanks for the update. You can see the part that they are going to demolish (by April) immediately to the east/right of the Old Don Jail in my pics below. It wasn't a flattering addition and it will be nice once it's gone.

It's going to be top notch once fully completed and landscaped. The park should be a destination for locals. The north side of my place overlooks the site; and it comes alive at sunset.

Jan 19th (not at sunset lol)

IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0010.jpg
    IMG_0010.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 532
  • IMG_0011.jpg
    IMG_0011.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 512
Last edited:

Back