This is called Bristol Place, coming early 2022: https://www.solmar.ca/bristol-place
BP-Rendering-v2.jpg

Real nice looking!! It would be nice to see some of theses kind of old school art deco style skyscrapers in Toronto's downtown core. Lord knows we need some over there !!!

Reactions: xy3
It's Turner Fleischer, so I'm not expecting anything great, but I can hope this will be decent precast rather than cheap window wall like G+C's twin towers at nearby 45 Railroad.

It's Turner Fleischer, so I'm not expecting anything great, but I can hope this will be decent precast rather than cheap window wall like G+C's twin towers at nearby 45 Railroad.

This is a simple design with good proportions, so I have hope that it could look ok even with mediocre detailing and materials. As always, time will tell, though.

Not the best firm but I do like the solid impression of the design and the roof top setbacks.

This will be as significant of a height increase for buildings in Brampton as the Transit City condos were to Vaughan.

Staff have concerns in their report to the Planning and Development Committee.

At this time, staff has noted the following specific issues that are to be considered with this proposal: 

- Impacts on the surrounding neighbourhood including wind and shadows due to the proposed building. 
- Four of the properties on the site are listed on the Municipal Register of Cultural Heritage Resources pursuant to subsection 27(3) of the Ontario Heritage Act. One of the buildings, located at 219/221 Main Street North, is noted in the current Development Permit System By-law for retention. The appropriate outcome for these resources will be determined through this proposal. The abutting property to the south is a designated heritage resource, and the proposal will be considered with respect to how it affects that resource. 
- The adequacy of services such as the availability of schools, community centres, libraries and municipal amenities as a result of the proposed increase in population.
- The adequacy of one access point to the development considering the number of anticipated vehicle trips.
- The location of the vehicular access on Thomas Street, relative to the current location of the Joseph Street and Thomas Street intersection. 
- The appropriateness of the drop-off areas considering the proposal to have this contained within the City’s current street right-of-way. 
- The appropriateness of the daycare lay by lane located at the Thomas Street/Joseph Street intersection. 
- The adequacy of road widening and daylight triangles. 
- The potential for the redevelopment of the abutting lands should this proposal be approved. 
- Further detail with respect to the functionality and suitability of the privately owned public space (P.O.P.S).  Building setbacks from public streets are to be reviewed to ensure that a treelined, well landscaped public realm can be accommodated.

Though the developer sought a MZO, it has not yet been granted, so it's going through the normal planning process for now.

Appendices: https://pub-brampton.escribemeetings.com/filestream.ashx?DocumentId=49204

Information summary: https://pub-brampton.escribemeetings.com/filestream.ashx?DocumentId=49205

City planning staff are recommending approval.

As the high density development is in accordance with both city and provincial planning policies, there really wasn’t another option.

Staff recommends approval of the Official Plan and Development Permit System By-law amendments (attached as Appendix 12 and 13), as the following have been satisfied:
 The application is consistent with the Provincial Policy Statement, the goals and objectives of the Official Plan, and conforms to the Growth Plan for the Greater Golden Horseshoe, and the Region of Peel Official Plan;
 The proposed development provides an opportunity to direct growth to an existing settlement area and contribute to a range of housing and commercial options;
 The proposed development is located within an Anchor Mobility Hub and an Urban Growth Centre, and is on a Primary Intensification Corridor in close proximity to transit options, amenities, and establishments in Downtown Brampton;
 The development will increase the number of residents in the Downtown increasing the market share for future and existing commercial establishments in the neighbourhood; and,
 All technical requirements will be addressed prior to the approval of a Development Permit through studies submitted in support of the proposal and approved by City staff.
As a result of the above, the proposed development represents good planning and is in the public interest.

Meanwhile, the developer has applied for demolition permits for houses on Main, Market, and Thomas.

The buildings are now all vacant and a temporary fence has been put up to secure the properties before demolition commences. Like many urban cores these days, the north side of Downtown Brampton has its issues due to an unhoused population (which is why the GO station tunnels are locked after hours these days).

IMG_1312.JPG
IMG_1315.JPG
IMG_1316.JPG

I don't think Bristol proper has flats that reach quite that high though...

Back