To paraphrase;
"Gentlemen. We can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"

Regards,
J T

Last edited:
To paraphrase;

For those not familiar with the quote being referenced (as it dates from 1964) - it is from a scene in Stanley Kubrick's great black comedy Dr. Strangelove - one of the best films ever, currently ranked at #50 in the IDMB list of all time top movies.

Ok. Old films and squabbling aside. This looks good. I used to switch street cars here back in the day and had to wait outside of Jilly's. I remember how dingy it was (just the building itself let alone the building operations) and I always thought it was a shame for such a nice old building. I'm glad it's getting some TLC.
If it turns out half as great as the Gladstone this is a win for the city.

It's certainly a better fate than the wrecking ball, which has taken a great many grand old buildings down in decades past.

Progress on the crown. First two shots taken yesterday afternoon and the final one today. I didn't notice the curious observer atop the crown until I uploaded the photos!

Also, not sure why the workers have a propensity to just stare out over the railings onto the street scene below. Come on guys, focus, focus. ;-)

Broadview.1.jpg
Broadview.2.jpg

The top all covered this afternoon (sans crown overseer).

Broadview.3.jpg

Attachments

• Broadview.1.jpg
    Broadview.1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,257
  • Broadview.2.jpg
    Broadview.2.jpg
    650.2 KB · Views: 1,249
  • Broadview.3.jpg
    Broadview.3.jpg
    840.9 KB · Views: 1,237
Last edited:
" I didn't notice the curious observer atop the crown until I uploaded the photos!"
skycandy.

One of The Kings, surveying The Domain and as with all Avian Kings,
They sit above The Crown, not beneath it.

For those wishing to fault me with my Use of Caps, well, they just don't understand
The Workings of The Avian Brain; especially that of a Hawk.

Regards,
J T

Last edited:
The video primarily shows the stonework; huge difference between Stone Masonry and Brick Masonry.
(It is quite obvious to me, that Hume knows little about building construction, as his Gloss-over of any real
reporting shows; or he is just sloppy.)
You think Chris Hume had anything to do with the filming of the building? They probably put him in the parking lot to do his speech then the videographer went and shot some vaguely relevant clips to illustrate what he was talking about. The video was fine, Chris Hume is a bit of a blowhard but mostly knows his stuff, and the building looks great!

To paraphrase;

Regards,
J T

A bit off topic, but related to J T's comment - From AP on March 10, 2016:

NEW YORK (AP) -- Ken Adam, the British production designer who gave "Dr. Strangelove" its cavernous War Room and James Bond supervillains their futuristic lairs, has died. He was 95.

Adam's biographer, Christopher Frayling, said Adam passed away in his sleep Thursday at his home in London. Frayling called Adam "the greatest production designer for film, ever."

MGM Studios and Eon Productions mourned the death of "our beloved friend" in a statement on the official James Bond Twitter account, hailing Adam as the person "who was so responsible for the visual style of the James Bond films."

The Berlin-born Adam won two Academy Awards in a career that lasted into his 70s and spanned more than 70 films. He was revered for his indelible set artistry, including that for seven Bond movies. Adam was behind the Fort Knox vaults of "Goldfinger," the iconic volcano hideaway of "You Only Live Twice" and Bond's gadget-filled Aston Martin.

"One critic asked, 'How did you ever get inside the volcano?'" Adam told the Los Angeles Times last year. "I didn't get inside the volcano! I think that is the function of a film designer, to create something which the audience has never seen."

In the art of production design, Adam's work on Stanley Kubrick's 1964 classic is widely considered among the craft's highest achievements. His enormous, expressionistic set evoked a bomb shelter with a circular, lamp-lit table in the middle, designed to suggest a poker table. It was here where Peter Sellers famously chastised a tussling Air Force general and Russian ambassador: "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"......

Last edited:
........... Ken Adam
THE BEST of THE BEST

...... REST IN PEACE

Thank you AHK.
(Not off topic in the least.)

Of incidental note re the Slim Pickens Bird -

When The USAF saw the Cockpit, they crapped their pants!
(They thought that it was The Real Thing!)

Regards,
J T

"New roof on the crown "
skycandy.

It appears to be that of Slate, although, the metal capping looks as it is of galvanized sheet steel.
Does no one work in copper any longer?

Regards,
J T

Back