I really hope this place stays here. If it's a destination restaurant--somewhere people suss out and go to because of what it is--then it can certainly survive. But if it doesn't reach that venerable status, this location isn't necessarily an easy one to bring in foot traffic.

Unfortunately the space is available for lease now.

Unfortunately the space is available for lease now.

The place is now leased. Tenant is a popular Taiwanese cuisine and bubble tea house called Green Grotto. Move in date is summer 2017. They have a location just a block north on St Joseph right now, and the new location will be their flagship store.

IMG_5684.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5684.JPG
    IMG_5684.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,033
  • IMG_5685.JPG
    IMG_5685.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 469
  • IMG_5688.JPG
    IMG_5688.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 481
I think this location will perpetually cycle through tenants. It's just not a good spot. We'll see. I mean, it's a beautiful space. But it's a bad location.

I think this location will perpetually cycle through tenants. It's just not a good spot. We'll see. I mean, it's a beautiful space. But it's a bad location.

I dunno, it's pretty prime territory to capitalize on the presence of 3,000+ government workers across the street.

I dunno, it's pretty prime territory to capitalize on the presence of 3,000+ government workers across the street.

Except that there isn't much beyond that (and I am not sure if the standard government worker is the most reliable or lucrative clientele) - you needed a retailer/restaurant with an already established reputation (or one that will go the extra mile to get there).

AoD

Except that there isn't much beyond that (and I am not sure if the standard government worker is the most reliable or lucrative clientele) - you needed a retailer/restaurant with an already established reputation (or one that will go the extra mile to get there).

AoD

Conceptually I'd agree with that, but my experience of this stretch doesn't support that -- there are a number of brand new lunch places literally around the corner (including one in the same condo) that are swarmed every single lunch hour.

The owner of one of those places (Bombay Indian) is an acquaintance of mine, and they've done so well at their Bay location that they're considering two different expansion locations within 12 months of opening up.

AoD

This location also capitalizes on the student population at Ryerson and U of T who lives in the vicinity. It is the same distance away from UC building as Baldwin st. and with FIVE/U condo/Thousand Bay/Britt/Teahouse/11 Wellesley I'd imagine the foot traffic will be sizeable in the near future. Green Grotto is also fairly well-established in the GTA with 8 existing locations. They are confident enough that they are apparently keeping the St Joseph location which is just ~350m to the north. The major foreseeable issue is how 880 Bay will be used as a staging area for the next 6-7 years and the construction/poor view may deter some patrons.

Whatever that other place was, was not inviting, sounded too expensive and looked too formal. This will do much better no doubt.

Back