The neighbourhoods immediately south are becoming slum-like, so you know what, I wouldn't mind this if it'll encourage other new developments nearby.

There are ways to encourage new development without building a huge tower wholly out of keeping with the rest of the neighbourhood. This project would be like plopping the X Condos building on the Danforth.

The neighbourhoods immediately south are becoming slum-like, so you know what, I wouldn't mind this if it'll encourage other new developments nearby.

They just need a clean up and reinvestment, not slum clearance. Nonetheless, remember that there are people living there in the area who would be quite negatively impacted by such a large building nearby. Also, College Street's midrise form is a pleasant example of diversity among the typical three storey-meets-fifty storey jumble of Toronto. I don't see why anyone who likes high-rises in a city would feel threatened in the city that already boasts among the greatest numbers of them in the world. High-rises are just one form of high-density construction that hardly belongs everywhere.

our own Ramako has posted these images over at SSP......

2ngfoef.jpg

rez1.jpg

rez2.jpg

rez3.jpg

It's a wonderful looking building, really lively - but I think it's dreadfully out of scale with the area - and not in a good way. Sometimes the contrast works, but in this case I think it's alarming.
I'm also worried it might set a precedent for intense zoning nearby that might see the low-rise historical and domestic-scale architecture around it eyed for demolition.

I think Spadina and adjacent areas could use some refurbishment, but not this way. It's too jarring.

Last edited:
Personally I love it. Not sure about the location, but the building itself I love.

A nice-looking building, but the proposed location is completely absurd.
I'd say, other way around. What location makes better sense, for a student residence? But I have doubts about the height of this thing. It's out of scale to its surroundings.

Wow, that's a terrific looking building. I certainly hope the inevitable compromises don't dumb it down too much. The height for this particular location doesn't concern me, but I wouldn't want such tall buildings on College street west of Spadina.

I love the tower and it would be great to see it built, but I have to agree with most of you that this is definitely not the right spot for it.

Back