Geez we're an insufferable lot here, aren't we?! (And I say that as a Corktowner who is desperate for a grocery store to open in this area.)

Realistically, they are probably dying to get foot traffic in there and product sold ASAP.

Geez we're an insufferable lot here, aren't we?! (And I say that as a Corktowner who is desperate for a grocery store to open in this area.)

Realistically, they are probably dying to get foot traffic in there and product sold ASAP.
I mean it shouldnt take like 8 years to open a f'ing grocery store in a new neighborhood. it should be like the first thing that opens there. its incredibly dumb from all angles. this store will make tons of money. people are begging for it. just open the damn store

It’s open everyone!

And a free lattes today.

IMG_8977.jpeg

I mean it shouldnt take like 8 years to open a f'ing grocery store in a new neighborhood. it should be like the first thing that opens there. its incredibly dumb from all angles. this store will make tons of money. people are begging for it. just open the damn store
I mean a grocery store as a private business needs to be profitable. It's not a charity. They need a sufficient customer base to operate, and there wouldn't have been one in this neighbourhood in 2015 for a grocer. Even now, I'm doubtful that there are enough people really.. but that situation will continue to improve in the next few years as more projects reach occupancy.

I mean a grocery store as a private business needs to be profitable. It's not a charity. They need a sufficient customer base to operate, and there wouldn't have been one in this neighbourhood in 2015 for a grocer. Even now, I'm doubtful that there are enough people really.. but that situation will continue to improve in the next few years as more projects reach occupancy.
I dunno, distillery, regent park, canary all are basically in a grocery desert. Definitely shouldnt have taken this long. but good that its finally open now!

Regent Park has FreshCo right in it.

This grocer's customer base is basically going to be Corktown & the Distillery, further north FreshCo will be preferred and further west, No Frills. especially since it's a high-end market. Most customers will be walk-ins from the immediate area, which until now, has had a relatively small population.

There are a bunch of projects which will reach occupancy in the next 2-3 years in the immediate area that will probably roughly double the population of the area though, so there will definitely be a market then. But in 2015/2016 as the first buildings in the West Don Lands were occupying, this area was really not dense at all and couldn't rely on adjacent areas which already had grocers which would draw customers.

Geography is also an issue with the Gardiner and Don River meaning there will be basically no customer draw from the east and south.

Ultimately No Frills is less than a kilometre away anyway from here. Honestly, I'm surprised there is a grocer open now at all. There are a lot of areas in the city with far, far higher densities without a significant grocer presence still (entertainment district!!)

Yeah! I would add Regent Park and those working in the eastern Portlands to the list of customers. There are many in Regent Park now who will want products that are not carried at FreshCo and can be on Front East in about a 7-10 minute walk. There are also a lot of people who frequent this area for work, shopping and leisure who will drop by. And I include the growing traffic along Cherry going into The Portlands as there isn't anything else and though no one really lives there now there are quite a few who work there.

Leo's will do just fine.

...never thought a grocery store opening would be this intense! I must be getting old! >.<

Yeah! So this is a soft opening with the official launch in a month. Basically everything that you need at not too bad prices! Fairly busy but will be a zoo after 5! There will be beer/wine available for carry out when the café opens (waiting on license.) And I now have a source for carbolic and cucumber/calendula homemade soap! Taken 12 April.

IMG_0119.jpeg

IMG_0120.jpeg
IMG_0121.jpeg
IMG_0122.jpeg
IMG_0123.jpeg
IMG_0124.jpeg
IMG_0125.jpeg
IMG_0126.jpeg
IMG_0127.jpeg
IMG_0128.jpeg
IMG_0129.jpeg
IMG_0131.jpeg