Cityplace park

Yes they have sprinklers.

Don't forget the Preview opening is today at 12:30.

No official name yet. Although with all the Terry Fox pictures and stuff, I wouldn't be surprised if they decide to call it Terry Fox Park.

And yes, there are sprinklers for sure. I've seen them in action.

Astroturf at work. I am starting to think this is a good idea/move on their part. That area will be so heavily used in the summer, but will always be fresh.

3904336590_87744aaf80.jpg

Astroturf at work. I am starting to think this is a good idea/move on their part. That area will be so heavily used in the summer, but will always be fresh.

The idea of these outside artificial fields is that it allows play much earlier and later in the season when heavy rain and almost daily freeze-thaw cycles turn "natural fields" into a sea of mud. Its a great idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
Checked out the park at lunch today.

First off: it's not as bad as it looks. It's not great, and yes, the vision was compromised (though Doogie was all smiles during the speeches) but it's still a nice place to be. Once the trees grow a bit and the construction eventually moves away, it will be pretty special. That said, some of the features such as the water jets were a nice accent, but could have been so much better. Stronger pressures and jets which don't all go to the same underwhelming height (around 5ft) would make this splash pad quite special. The canoe is interesting though nowhere near the length of a bus as Mr. Tuttenblower has touted in the Post. Behind the canoe, there are some interesting cast concrete benches which resemble icebergs and seemed not to be finished as there was electrical wiring all around (lighting?). The light standards themselves come in two varieties: the standard fixtures which appear over pathways etc. and a second set of semi-camouflaged, high intensity halogen poles hidden amongst the trees. The turf field is almost unrecognizable and was already being used for sports activities (arranged by Concord most likely). All in all it was a good experience.

I took plenty of pictures and will post them later tonight if someone has not already beaten me to it.

There's also a drinking fountain and quite a lot of benches around as well. I still wish they made the hill into astroturf on the high side. The grass wasn't cut and grown long. There's also a few different looking lightings around. It is a disappointment from the downgrade, but yes the park is usable. Typical parks you find around.

I am still trying to determine the purpose of this park. Is there a sports area (baseball diamond, basketball court, tennis court? How about a swing set or playground?

To me, the park appears to be an open space of grass with small concrete paths, and it does not appear to be usable. I was envisioning a mini central park atmosphere, but to me I think that they basically set aside some land and placed grass on top.

I think that the land would have been better used to build more condos. As I see it, this land will be used by dog owners as a walking ground and a washroom.

Perhaps it will look better once the surrounding buildings are completed.

I was pleasantly surprised. You need to be there to appreciate it. It is a great place to stroll with or without your kids. The water jets are a nice touch and the water fountain turns out better than I expected.

There was a mention that the Cityplace bridge design will be revealed, but I forgot about it.

I wonder... what's the use for the fish bobbers? Are they suppose to spray water from the top or something?

Shouldn't there have been a water feature associated with those fishing bobbers? I thought they were part of a water fountain or something. Just by themselves on concrete, what's the point?

Shouldn't there have been a water feature associated with those fishing bobbers? I thought they were part of a water fountain or something. Just by themselves on concrete, what's the point?

There are about 15 water jets sprinkled in the fishing bobbers area. Several of my pix above show it.

Back