Fair points, but I was careful not to say "modernist." A building can look clean without adhering to the modernists' particular definition of the term.

As my wise uncle always pointed out, "timelessness" is just another fad - it's as subjective an idea as any.

You can take the "modernist" out of what I said and I think it still holds true for the most part. RBC Dexia, in my opinion, has many of its details awkwardly resolved, whereas Charlie is even simpler but seems to "work" as a result. And as I said, I don't see what is wrong about a building (i.e. Charlie) fading into the background as opposed to making a statement.

Your comment on the idea of "timelessness" being subjective is interesting. I love the philosophy behind design and architecture. I'm going to have to go ponder that idea now haha. :)

It's conservative, but not hideous. It's grey, not colourful. It's D+S.....and it can't compete with the century old buildings in this shot:

From last night:

20120623212040.jpg

Thanks yonderbean for the excellent pics of various projects. The magical hour can only do so much - see M5V in that shot - a clunker remains a clunker.

AoD

It's definitely in Charlie's shadow.

From what I saw today , looks like the crane was being taken down.....Major construction seems to be completed !

I've been watching construction every day from my office window and it doesn't appear that the crane is being dismantled yet. I'll try to post more photos shortly!

Attachments

• charlie.jpg
    charlie.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 276
Last edited:
The yellow is a fun and unexpected touch underneath this building (used on the overhang of the podium). Definitely gives it a little pizazz!

I think the reason Charlie seems so perfect to me is that it reminds me of the greatest science fiction film ever made.

245791-2.jpg

Back