I think the setback is actually a good thing. It makes the retail section stand out more on its own, rather than blend into the building. It gives more of a commercial/residential contrast, rather than weakly placing businesses into a very residential looking that poorly meets the street.
The retail section doesn't have to literally stand out for it to stand out. A building that rises straight up for several storeys frames the street better, makes it feel more enclosed (especially important on wide streets like the ones in MCC), and provides for more interaction between the residential units and the street below. That framing and interaction are important. If you look at the buildings on traditional retail streets like Queen, Bloor, Spadina, or their equivalents all over the world, the upper storeys aren't set back. On the Champs Elysees or Gran Via the buildings rise straight up 10 storeys. I agree that a lot of newer condos have weak looking retail, but that's just because they're not designed very well.

I don't disagree with that at all, just that I don't think this was done that badly since the setback is really only the depth of the balconies and the street facade reaches 2 floors - the same as much of Queen, Bloor, etc... 3 or 4 floors would have been better and mimic more of Spadina or Yonge than Queen or Bloor, but I much prefer what was done here to what was done at Solstice or Capital condos, even though their podiums are taller.

I know this quote is old but I think it's worth responding to. The building has a multi-storey podium with retail at street level. The retail pretty well designed and looks inviting to walk past. The streetscaping is solidly urban. My main complaint is that the upper floors of the podium should be flush with the first floor instead of set back. While the tower is cheesy, as far as urbanism goes this building is better than a lot of downtown condos.

No, Ganjavih is right. This project has absolutely no urbanism. It is after all located in Mississauga.

Back