• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
141 Bay is long in an east-west direction, 45/81 Bay is long north-south. The floor plates, like in most office towers, are much larger than for condo towers at approximately 2,500 sq metres each. (That's more than 3 times the size of 750 sq metre point tower.) The shapes are set in stone, so the diamond pattern, staggered crowns, and the reveal between the two halves are all the relief you're going to get from the bulk.

These were designed to attract a bank's desires for a large, efficient and repetitive floor plate and that's exactly who they got.

141 Bay is long in an east-west direction, 45/81 Bay is long north-south. The floor plates, like in most office towers, are much larger than for condo towers at approximately 2,500 sq metres each. (That's more than 3 times the size of 750 sq metre point tower.)

True, but these towers appear to be wider than most existing office towers in the Financial District, at least in the renderings.

True, but these towers appear to be wider than most existing office towers in the Financial District, at least in the renderings.
Definitely wider than most, but not all!. Average FCP floorplate is 31,000 ft2, and Scotia Plaza is 22,700 ft2. As i42 said above, these are 2,500 m2, which translates to about 27,000 ft2. So these floor plates are right in between the size of Scotia and FCP, which is indeed pretty large.

The shape of the lots they're being built on lend themselves two a pair of towers which are twice the width of their depth, so they'll definitely look very large on one side… but that's one of the main reasons why there's so much detail on the facades.

I hope they redesign the towers. As much as I like the distinctive diamond pattern on the facades, they have the proportions of two massive slab towers. The attempt to style them as 4 towers doesn't make up for the slabbish footprints.

In what world is that ever going to happen? These have been in development and approval for years now. Why would anyone just go 'let's redesign'?

In what world is that ever going to happen? These have been in development and approval for years now. Why would anyone just go 'let's redesign'?

Prospective tenants change, market conditions change, corporate governance changes--there are many things that can happen. I was speaking candidly, as I hadn't previously commented on this aspect of the design.

Friday Update: This week has been all about 'Rinse and Repeat'. The tieback machines are working their way long the top of the berm and along the west wall next to Bay Street. They finished doing the first row along Lake Shore under the Gardiner. The tie back machines consume a lot of water, there are a water tankers and one very large open top container that is constantly being refilled. They are down to 2 working boring machines. One is working on the north side of the 18 Yonge St building, and the other is now at ground level working away on the last little stretch in front of the Bay East Teamway. The third boring machine has been sitting on the south east side of the site for a few days now, it's being dismantled but there doesn't seem to be any rush about it.

Rinse and Repeat.jpg

Attachments

• Rinse and Repeat.jpg
    Rinse and Repeat.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 419
Prospective tenants change, market conditions change, corporate governance changes--there are many things that can happen. I was speaking candidly, as I hadn't previously commented on this aspect of the design.

Tenant could change but, that would be through a sublease from CIBC. There are very few situations that will allow them to get out of this now.

The incredible shrinking berm. There was nothing new to see last Friday but today they're going gang busters. The berm has dropped another 3m. The tieback machines are working on the north face under the Bay East Teamway and in the south west corner they are busy welding and erecting some type of steel structure.

IMG_0507.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0507.jpg
    IMG_0507.jpg
    270.4 KB · Views: 369
Anyone have any ideas wha the structure bottom left is going to be? Frame for a raised site office perhaps? Magnificent entrance gate?

Back