• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
He’s back! Free parking on the tracks on Thursday.
Yellow lift extender in action.
77406EB9-5A25-426B-B5D8-9EFA08015C62.jpeg

Snowy Saturday.
A6FB9BAB-FDAF-4ADB-8D3C-D74764E5941A.jpeg

Kitchen Window Quickie

New work on the core setback,

IMG_1509.jpeg

A closer look shows the 'bridging steel' that will replace the concrete core now that the setback has happened. Also of note, the forms are beginning to re-appear on the south end of the new shortened core

IMG_1508.jpeg

f5960158-37b4-4efa-84c1-c96758fb34bd.jpg

Construction Notice

Dear neighbours,

Please be advised that our contractor will be undertaking continuous welding operations on the west side of the 81 Bay Street tower, Monday – Saturday until February 1st, to support installation of steel columns forming the tower. To facilitate this critical work, a team of crew members will be on-site overnight to maintain the equipment and ensure safe operations for this continuous process.

Continuous welding ensures the steel is secure once installed, forming a solid connection between the two pieces of steel being welded together. To do this, a very high temperature is maintained for a long period of time, typically a minimum of 24 hours. This means we cannot heat the steel during normal working hours and just stop – the temperature must be maintained continuously.

This work is expected to have minimal noise impact, and will take place on the west side of the tower core, sheltered from neighbouring buildings.

We thank you for your patience during this critical building process. Please reach out if you have any questions or concerns about this work.

Thank you.​

So easy to recognize a first class operation. The client has the money and the contractor is expected to deliver a professional and timely build. Working on weekends, accurate communication, whatever it takes.....a perfect representation of how a large project should run. It always starts with the client/owner.

Not it's not the Hanging Gardens on Babylon Friday

Westside Story: Not much change since yesterday so here's just today's photos

IMG_1511.jpeg

IMG_1512.jpeg

Some, not quite Corinthian Columns have been delivered to the site. Looking towards the hoarding along Bay St lying on the delivery area you may notice the top portion of what looks like aluminum or galvanized steel columns. They are at least 10m in length and have a square flange welded to the bottom and a sort of nipple at the top. These columns will be holding up the canopy that runs the whole length of the building along Bay St. Maybe someone else can get a better shot of these from a different angle because they are quite impressive. They also come with assorted beams that also look aluminum or galvanized steel. For all, I know they could be zinc or titanium or even lithium to power the lights, nothing about the construction of this building surprises me anymore, I'm just open-mouthed amazed all the time.

IMG_1514.jpeg

Eastside Story: (this photo is the same zoom as the first two photos)

IMG_1513.jpeg

A closer look shows us a brand new construction office in white with blue supports, just hanging from the east side of the tower office, like the mythical Gardens of Babylon. How that worker, in the hi-vis orange vest, is just hovering there is beyond me, maybe jetpacks. You may also notice that work has begun on the formwork for what will be the floor of level 03.

IMG_1515.jpeg

So easy to recognize a first class operation. The client has the money and the contractor is expected to deliver a professional and timely build. Working on weekends, accurate communication, whatever it takes.....a perfect representation of how a large project should run. It always starts with the client/owner.

I know someone who works on the site, and the pressure to push ahead is unrelenting. He's basically paying off his mortgage with the overtime he's accumulating. It definitely is the best project he's ever worked on, but they are really putting the screws to the workers.

I know someone who works on the site, and the pressure to push ahead is unrelenting. He's basically paying off his mortgage with the overtime he's accumulating. It definitely is the best project he's ever worked on, but they are really putting the screws to the workers.
Not surprised to hear that. The clients where money is not a concern pressure the GC to make schedule beyond belief. No excuses. Thanks for sharing that.

Back