• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
Just In!

Dark looking mirrored window's with white trim is going to look real nice during the day! Not to mention the accent lighting on the windows at night !

A Beaming Saturday Morning

Yesterday I posted a photo (see below) of the north train crash wall, you may notice a large rectangular void in the wall, it's sitting between the two sets of forms that are propped up against the north wall

When I looked out my kitchen window this morning, I found this!

A closer look makes me think this is a 'cantilever in progress' to help carry the weight of the elevated park

From the drawings

It's my inner railfan kicking in here, but once this is done I want to be able to see one of the rare diversions (one happened last year) of a full CN freight train through the USRC and under this park. I wonder how close the clearance would be between the park and the top of a double stack train.

It's my inner railfan kicking in here, but once this is done I want to be able to see one of the rare diversions (one happened last year) of a full CN freight train through the USRC and under this park. I wonder how close the clearance would be between the park and the top of a double stack train.

I know I'm getting off-top here, but I'd been wondering lately why I see so few large freight trains going through Union these days. When I moved here 13 years ago, it was a much more common sight.

I know I'm getting off-top here, but I'd been wondering lately why I see so few large freight trains going through Union these days. When I moved here 13 years ago, it was a much more common sight.
Because there is so much GO and VIA traffic the freight trains now avoid the corridor via Union.

Because there is so much GO and VIA traffic the freight trains now avoid the corridor via Union.

CN used to operate two local freights a day westbound through Union Station, one in the early afternoon timeframe, and then one overnight. These trains handled local drop off and pick up of freight cars on sidings for the various industries from Etobicoke through Burlington. These sidings are now serviced on an overnight basis, with trains originating from the west end of this stretch. The Lakeshore West tracks involved (from the west boundary of the Toronto Terminal Railway owned tracks through Union Station, through to the junction with the CN main line in Burlington, near Brant Street), were originally owned by CN, but were sold to Metrolinx several years ago, with CN maintaining running rights over them for this purpose.

Back