• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
So the park will come after the 2nd building is done?
Looks like they are planning to have a portion of it done, but I imagine there will be a lot of regulations that would prohibit someone from actually using said park (construction above).

Today is a Pano from west to east. When I moved into this building there was only AirCanada Centre, Royal York Hotel, the old train shed, Brookefield Place and 18 Yonge St

IMG_3053.jpeg

Sunday, October 4 at 5 PM:

A working weekend for some of the construction staff at CIBC Square. Yesterday, the tower crane worked right into the Saturday evening, stopping its lifts at 6:35 PM. Today, Sunday at 5 PM, the crane is still working as per this (long distance) photo.

20201004_170159.jpg

Sunday, October 4 at 5 PM:

A working weekend for some of the construction staff at CIBC Square. Yesterday, the tower crane worked right into the Saturday evening, stopping its lifts at 6:35 PM. Today, Sunday at 5 PM, the crane is still working as per this (long distance) photo.

View attachment 274016
Probably trying to complete all 'crane tasks' so it can be removed and the building sealed up before winter.

Exchange is Phase II of FCP. Initially it was envisioned as a shorter, twin-tower complex of equal height, but O&Y pushed to construct the tallest bank tower in the world along with a second, smaller phase. Planning fought hard against this but, in true Planning fashion, lost, and now we have a very excellent building that bothers precisely no-one and people generally think of as emblematic of 'Downtown Toronto'.

Exchange is Phase II of FCP. Initially it was envisioned as a shorter, twin-tower complex of equal height, but O&Y pushed to construct the tallest bank tower in the world along with a second, smaller phase. Planning fought hard against this but, in true Planning fashion, lost, and now we have a very excellent building that bothers precisely no-one and people generally think of as emblematic of 'Downtown Toronto'.

Wow, I had no idea, that's a very interesting bit of history, thanks for sharing !

I'd also add exchange tower is huge with its bulky floor plates i.e. it would be a lot of office space to replace.

If I'm reading this right:
Building Size:
1,230,709 Sq Ft

Its podium is huge.
So it has just about the exact same amount of office space as the building that is the subject of this thread :)

If I recall, one of the reasons the podium is huge is it hosted the stock exchange trading floor... definitely long before social distancing.

Edit: ^ WikiWand confirmed my often-challenged memory 'banks'. Interesting tid-bit: the trading floor closed in April 1997 (the second-largest stock exchange in North America to choose a floor-less, electronic/virtual trading environment (presumably with desks, chairs and computers somewhere ;).

Last edited:

Back