• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
Night shot!
PXL_20211013_234719017.jpg

Is that what it looks like live at night now...or is this just the exposure time of the shot dialed up?

(Not being rude with the latter question...I hope.)

The photos I posted were not edited, but still looked brighter than it did in person, and this shot is way brighter, so it's definitely been enhanced. It looks great from certain angles (near the base, looking upward, particularly from one of the corners to show two sides), but is almost completely invisible from most angles unfortunately.

I've said a few times before and I'll say it again. This building is breath taking when you see it around dusk. Can't really explain why, but it just is.

Is that what it looks like live at night now...or is this just the exposure time of the shot dialed up?

(Not being rude with the latter question...I hope.)
Definitely not rude at all.

The picture was taken on my Pixel 5 with night sight (slightly long exposure and some AI magic). I didn't do any further enhancement to the picture.

A few today, with a bit of a focus on the vegetation/landscape. Taken October 14, 2021

Looking down Bay street from just south of Wellington:

1634253708522.png

In the above, you might just be able to make out the trees on the deck...........lets zoom in, shall we?

1634253775380.png

That's some seriously tall stock they got transplanted, that's real $$$ invested! Look at the height vs the office level, or vs the worker walking by in front. These are already well north of 25ft.

1634253863187.png

In the image below (apologies for the quality) you can see conifer trees; the angle may be misleading, the tops of those trees are in front of the 2nd floor up.

1634253973302.png

Now a break for some construction of the new tower:

1634254024342.png

1634254041270.png

1634254057133.png

1634254072856.png

Moving along, a couple from south of the rail corridor:

The 'big' Dawn Redwood at the corner continues to look OK, the challenge will be getting through winter healthy.

1634254169715.png

But I'm actually much more pleased by the slightly shorter one in the back of this planting bed, it's just so verdant and fulsome.

1634254227634.png

Finally, a peak from just outside the FarmBoy on Queen's Quay:

1634254296693.png

You think those will ever grow 30 m plus? 😯

In a word: No.

Don't get me wrong, I hope so, I'd love to see it; It would be awesome if I'm wrong........

But let's remember, in the best case scenario, the height typically associated with Dawn Redwoods is from the west coast, where the growing season is considerably longer than it is here.
So, at the very least, it would take much longer than on the west coast to reach those types of heights.

But those planted in the shadow of the Gardiner.............despite sincere efforts at good planting conditions, one can't compare the planting to the types of natural settings one might see out west.
It's not just less soil and less light, it's a lot more pollution and a lot more road salt.
Electric cars will do wonders for the former, but not much about the latter.
For those on the deck level, this is less of an issue..........but there is a membrane that will need to be re-done every 30-50 years creating a natural life-span limit for any for the trees in question.
So I think 30M {90ft) heights is a wildly optimistic goal.

But, let's end this on an optimistic note. Dawn Redwood is relatively pollution/urban tolerant.
In an artificial setting is it possible to 'flush' salt...........in the spring and to richly fertilize the planting beds.
So, while i don't think 30M is likely......it's not impossible.......with enough care, and a bit of luck.

In a word: No.

Don't get me wrong, I hope so, I'd love to see it; It would be awesome if I'm wrong........

But let's remember, in the best case scenario, the height typically associated with Dawn Redwoods is from the west coast, where the growing season is considerably longer than it is here.
So, at the very least, it would take much longer than on the west coast to reach those types of heights.

But those planted in the shadow of the Gardiner.............despite sincere efforts at good planting conditions, one can't compare the planting to the types of natural settings one might see out west.
It's not just less soil and less light, it's a lot more pollution and a lot more road salt.
Electric cars will do wonders for the former, but not much about the latter.
For those on the deck level, this is less of an issue..........but there is a membrane that will need to be re-done every 30-50 years creating a natural life-span limit for any for the trees in question.
So I think 30M {90ft) heights is a wildly optimistic goal.

But, let's end this on an optimistic note. Dawn Redwood is relatively pollution/urban tolerant.
In an artificial setting is it possible to 'flush' salt...........in the spring and to richly fertilize the planting beds.
So, while i don't think 30M is likely......it's not impossible.......with enough care, and a bit of luck.
Fair enough!

...and for the obligatory FYI:

Note: That's why I asked about the height, because under prime growing conditions they can turn into very big trees.

And thanks for explaining all that though. /bows

Last edited:
I really cannot describe how disappointing the lighting on the diamonds is. I have no idea why they didnt just go with LED strips, theres literally nothing they can do with the current lights that they couldn't do with LED strips

Back