• Start date
097AAF1C-4D99-4CB6-B535-0FD06162EFD6.jpeg
8DE5ABE8-1DE9-4A0E-B901-D5F110FD65E0.jpeg

Canada Day Friday

Westside

Middle

Lower

Eastside

A closer look at the glass installation on the south face, When the sun shines throw these windows in the morning the window glass throws is distinctly green reflection onto the interior concrete floors :eek: Without the shiny sun, it reflects like the photo below

A closer look at, a previously loved, but new to us, crane. Last week the CIBC construction notice told us this expected crane was to assist with assembling the necessary equipment on this mechanical floor.

Some raised platforms have been poured at different places on the floor at this level. Presumably, it is to elevate mechanical equipment. You may notice some workers creating a few of these platforms at the time this photo was taken

Finally today, a look a the progress along the east wall adjacent to 18 Yonge St. Plywood panels have been installed over the glass fronting the swimming pool at 18 Yonge St. Like the parking levels at 18 Yonge, these are false windows. I assume these are installed for aesthetics and architectural balance. These windows will be almost completely covered by the CIBC podium's east wall

Canada Day Friday

Westside

View attachment 192338

Middle

View attachment 192339

Lower

View attachment 192340

Eastside

View attachment 192341

A closer look at the glass installation on the south face, When the sun shines throw these windows in the morning the window glass throws is distinctly green reflection onto the interior concrete floors :eek: Without the shiny sun, it reflects like the photo below

View attachment 192342

A closer look at, a previously loved, but new to us, crane. Last week the CIBC construction notice told us this expected crane was to assist with assembling the necessary equipment on this mechanical floor.

View attachment 192343

Some raised platforms have been poured at different places on the floor at this level. Presumably, it is to elevate mechanical equipment. You may notice some workers creating a few of these platforms at the time this photo was taken

View attachment 192345

Finally today, a look a the progress along the east wall adjacent to 18 Yonge St. Plywood panels have been installed over the glass fronting the swimming pool at 18 Yonge St. Like the parking levels at 18 Yonge, these are false windows. I assume these are installed for aesthetics and architectural balance. These windows will be almost completely covered by the CIBC podium's east wall

View attachment 192344
Stitched!
Untitled_Panorama1.jpg

A good friend of mine who is a US-based sports reporter was in town covering NBA finals. Other than the Raptors, most of the chatter amongst the press was how ASTOUNDED they all were by all of the major development going on in Toronto. Most of them couldn't believe their eyes. Sometimes outside perspective is needed to really comprehend what an incredible time this is in our fair city.

Definitely think this will be a very photogenic building as it'll catch the light very differently depending on the time of the day.

And Toronto is definitely growing in a very intense and different manner (most Canadian cities for that matter) from most American cities, many of which are still extremely suburbanized. A lot of them would be blessed to even have one or two of our mid-tier developments in their downtown areas. That being said, the high-end tower developments in the US are usually better finished than Toronto's. Spandrel + window wall is far less common down there.

Wonder if the scattering of tower blocks throughout the city in the 60s-70s + increasing immigration from countries with different expectations of space helped mentally prepare Torontonians for the development that has followed. Even our suburban developments are fairly dense, as there's little exurban development like in the US.

Last edited:
US cities have all high rises concentrated in the downtown area and the rest of the city is all low rise.

Having highrises spread all over Toronto and its suburbs makes Toronto look incredibly impressive.

The pace of construction shows no signs of slowing. Toronto should eclipse Chicago by 2030 at this rate.

US cities have all high rises concentrated in the downtown area and the rest of the city is all low rise.

Having highrises spread all over Toronto and its suburbs makes Toronto look incredibly impressive.

The pace of construction shows no signs of slowing. Toronto should eclipse Chicago by 2030 at this rate.

This is from a spreadsheet I made, showing construction of all 300-foot or taller high-rises (not including the CN Tower). For each building I subtracted 300 from the height in feet. So a 328 foot building gets 28 points, and a 585 foot building gets 285 points.

The blue line shows the sum of 300-foot-plus building points completed in each year, and the orange line shows the total to that year.

NOTE: I included buildings under construction, but with a 2019 completion date, as being completed in 2019.

Basically, all the points accumulated in Toronto up to and including the year 2005 equal the points from the three years 2017-2019.

Toronto 300+ foot highrises.jpg

Last edited:
This is from a spreadsheet I made, showing construction of all 300-foot or taller high-rises (not including the CN Tower). For each building I subtracted 300 from the height in feet. So a 328 foot building gets 28 points, and a 585 foot building gets 285 points.

The blue line shows the sum of 300-foot-plus building points completed in each year, and the orange line shows the total to that year.

NOTE: I included buildings under construction, but with a 2019 completion date, as being completed in 2019.

Basically, all the points accumulated in Toronto up to and including the year 2005 equal the points from the three years 2017-2019.

View attachment 192432
SKYTOTAL.png

Toronto's construction boom from another perspective (data source: skyscrapercenter, selected cities)
To me, New York is the center of the universe no doubt, Hong Kong represents the past, Asia represents now, Toronto is the future.

Back