• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
New community update:

Construction Update

Dear Neighbours,

Below is a brief update on the CIBC SQUARE project:

Construction at 81 Bay Street
Base building occupancy permits for the low rise and high rise floors at 81 Bay have been obtained from the City in late March / early April. Additionally, all floors have now been turned over to tenant contractors for fixturing in preparation for tenant occupancy later in the year. As per the current provincial directive, current amenity work (Fitness Centre and Food Hall) and tenant fixturing work at 81 Bay is suspended until the directive has been lifted. Other remaining construction work at 81 Bay includes the completion of the Overbuild Park, the Bay East Teamway, exterior landscaping and the Yonge Street abutment retrofit work which includes completion of the ramp to 81 Bay from Yonge Street.

Construction at 141 Bay Street
We have made significant progress at 141 Bay Street, with demolition of the old Metrolinx Bus Terminal now complete. Current work at 141 Bay Street involves drilling of the perimeter caissons on the north, south, and west edges of the property. These caissons will support the foundation of the building. Four drill rigs have been mobilized on site in order to complete this phase of work. To date, caisson work has progressed significantly along all property lines and is anticipated to be completed in June. Excavation and tieback drilling activities will be commencing shortly.

Overbuild Park
We have reached several construction milestones for the Overbuild Park and we are excited that Phase 1 of the park (south half) remains on track for completion in late summer 2021. Work on the Overbuild Park continues to take place overnight as it requires access to and above an active rail corridor and for safety, construction personnel and equipment are not permitted on the tracks while trains are running.

Crews have recently completed installing steel for the next phase of the park. Overnight, they continue to pour concrete for the park deck and a tower crane has also been added to the site to aid with the next phase of construction.

COVID-19 Protocols
Over the last year, we have worked with our base building and tenant contractors to ensure that enhanced safety measures are in place to safeguard the wellbeing of employees on-site. These include more portable handwashing stations; limiting the number of workers gathering in groups; staggered start times for subtrades; moving deliveries after hours; increased cleaning of all surfaces; and education of all teams on good hygiene, social distancing, and COVID-19 symptoms and protocols. We have also implemented mandatory twice-weekly rapid testing on-site.

When are we working?
The following regular working hours are expected at CIBC SQUARE:

7AM - 7PM Monday to Friday: Regular working hours at 81 Bay Street and 141 Bay Street
11PM - 5AM Monday to Saturday: Overnight work in the rail corridor for the park overbuild
9AM - 7PM Saturday: Regular working hours at 81 Bay Street and 141 Bay Street

We thank you in advance for your patience during this phase of construction. For any questions or comments, please email us at community@CIBCSQUARE.com.

Progress is impressive...

P1230383.jpg

P1230381.jpg

P1230382.jpg

P1230371.jpg

Soil travelling skywards...

P1230375.jpg

P1230377.jpg

P1230378.jpg

P1230379.jpg

P1230372.jpg

P1230373.jpg

What are the reflections like from Maple Leaf Square? Assume we weren’t in the middle of a pandemic and the square was packed for game 1 of the playoffs tonight. Does the tower look all nice and sunsetty or is there a bad glare that makes it hard to see the screen?

So glad to see this change, the teamways have been an embarrassment. I think the true test will be to see whether any water leaks; somehow even when they finished construction on the York Concourse it was leaking immediately, in fact I think some ceiling panels are still removed from when they began checking on that issue.

So glad to see this change, the teamways have been an embarrassment. I think the true test will be to see whether any water leaks; somehow even when they finished construction on the York Concourse it was leaking immediately, in fact I think some ceiling panels are still removed from when they began checking on that issue.
This is my biggest concern as well. As i've mentioned before, I hope they waterproofed the s*** out of this like no tomorrow. The last thing we need to see is any sort of leakage here.

This is my biggest concern as well. As i've mentioned before, I hope they waterproofed the s*** out of this like no tomorrow. The last thing we need to see is any sort of leakage here.

I *think* they have designed the ceiling with trays to catch the leakage.

AoD

^Even if that were the case if true, it would be pretty pointless if the leakage was significant enough to the point that the panels couldnt handle the weight and ultimately just collapse.

Actually now that I look at the pics in more detail, I dont see any drainage in the case that we do see any flooding..

The waterproofing is a Metrolinx responsibility and they SEEM to have finished all 3 bridges (York, Bay and Yonge). It will be interesting to see how they fare when we get heavy rain but I bet we continue to see some leaks as waterproofing below a rail track is difficult due to the vibration.

Last edited:
What are the reflections like from Maple Leaf Square? Assume we weren’t in the middle of a pandemic and the square was packed for game 1 of the playoffs tonight. Does the tower look all nice and sunsetty or is there a bad glare that makes it hard to see the screen?
When you can see this building, why would you be watching the screen? ;)

Back