• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
June 15th:
0S6A9073.jpg
0S6A9077.jpg
0S6A9079.JPG

I actually never realized that the south north tower is going to be angled different. I always thought the two were going to be the same, with the taller side of the buildings on the inside and shorter on the outside. Didn't the realize the north tower with have the shorter part of the building on the east facing east.

Dawn redwood (Metasequoia glyptostroboides) according to @Northern Light - you can find a grove at Harbourfront/Canada Square as well. It's a species with an interesting history behind it.

AoD

It does indeed.

Nearly extinct when discovered in China during WWII...............

Today with much healthier numbers, though still too rare in its native habitat.........but cultivated around the world.

Toronto is probably among the colder places it's been tried. (though by no means the most northerly)

It's considered tolerant to -32C..................Toronto's record cold (non wind chill) is -32.8.

We're less likely to reach that today than we were in the 19thC, from whence that record dates.

Through trees, like humans can feel the effects of cold + wind

They're not small when they're happy, and old......

Look at this specimen from Pennsylvania

1624067619078.png

From: https://www.monumentaltrees.com/en/usa/pennsylvania/philadelphia/18884_morrisarboretum/35465/

Edit to add, the tree above is only 68 this year. (a bit younger in the photo)

Last edited:
It does indeed.

Nearly extinct when discovered in China during WWII...............

Today with much healthier numbers, though still too rare in its native habitat.........but cultivated around the world.

Toronto is probably among the colder places it's been tried. (though by no means the most northerly)

It's considered tolerant to -32C..................Toronto's record cold (non wind chill) is -32.8.

We're less likely to reach that today than we were in the 19thC, from whence that record dates.

Through trees, like humans can feel the effects of cold + wind

They're not small when they're happy, and old......

Look at this specimen from Pennsylvania

View attachment 328965
From: https://www.monumentaltrees.com/en/usa/pennsylvania/philadelphia/18884_morrisarboretum/35465/

I can only wish we have the climate for Wollemi pine outdoors.

AoD

There's a huge old dawn redwood in a laneway in Hamilton not far from city hall. I'll have to snap a pic the next time I visit.

I am very curious as to how they will fare in this location - it's not exactly a forgiving spot for a tree. The ones planted along Bay look excellent though

I can only wish we have the climate for Wollemi pine outdoors.

AoD

How did you come to know that one?

Only tolerant to - 12 at a push ......maybe.............

Definitely not suited to outdoors here.

Maybe a greenhouse .......with a very high ceiling....

There's a huge old dawn redwood in a laneway in Hamilton not far from city hall. I'll have to snap a pic the next time I visit.

I am very curious as to how they will fare in this location - it's not exactly a forgiving spot for a tree. The ones planted along Bay look excellent though

I agree, it's a very challenging spot.

There's not that much sun.........and the potential for road salt spray in the winter is material.

That said, I hope it takes.

This was a hand-dug specimen from a field location........serious $$$.

The spot was originally spec'ed for White Pine, which would be at least as risky.

I would have been inclined to make a safer choice, in light of the conditions.

But sometimes, risks pay off..........

I agree, it's a very challenging spot.

There's not that much sun.........and the potential for road salt spray in the winter is material.

That said, I hope it takes.

This was a hand-dug specimen from a field location........serious $$$.

The spot was originally spec'ed for White Pine, which would be at least as risky.

I would have been inclined to make a safer choice, in light of the conditions.

But sometimes, risks pay off..........
One of my favourite trees - there are a few really gorgeous ones in the south end of Kew Gardens, just north of the lawn bowling courts. I just had a few dozen seeds shipped in from BC as an anniversary present and hope to grow a few in pots before planting them outside.

Back