• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
Really that pessimistic? So you think proposals like Union Park, Union Centre, 191 Bay, The Hub, Pinnacle One Yonge Commercial and so on will not be built for the next 10-20 years or ever?

Not that I'm complaining, just wondering what your thoughts are on any of that ever coming to fruition?
None of those proposals will ever see the light of day. Many will likely be resubmitted as condo projects. I don't see any office towers being built in the next decade. After that, who knows. Unlikely anything big.

None of those proposals will ever see the light of day. Many will likely be resubmitted as condo projects. I don't see any office towers being built in the next decade. After that, who knows. Unlikely anything big.

There will still be a need for office space as the city grows, so might start this decade but non will be finished by the decade.

EF6CEBE2-39DC-465F-A176-0C84F280F99D.jpeg

0C98732D-BD30-488D-9DEF-E77FF9714911.jpeg

Oh hello there angled brackets. Nice seeing you again for round two.

CEC7513A-43BB-47DA-968A-E5678CCCABB6.jpeg

43AD5A87-4957-4785-B4CC-DD6365542FED.jpeg

3921F2C3-2F7B-4C63-8EAF-889F74533A58.jpeg

EB50CC6A-668A-4C22-9F56-F1E2FB381ECF.jpeg

Nice green roof…

BB4D85FC-D940-455E-9BD3-5D30FE22623F.jpeg

Does anyone know if there is going to be an underground connection between the two towers?
Theoretically, why not. But from what I've seen in the construction so far...unlikely. And if there was such a connection, it would also unlikely be open to the public - strictly a utility affair I'd suspect.

Theoretically, why not. But from what I've seen in the construction so far...unlikely. And if there was such a connection, it would also unlikely be open to the public - strictly a utility affair I'd suspect.
Ok, I was just thinking about how a PATH route would go. And workers going from one building to the other.

Really that pessimistic? So you think proposals like Union Park, Union Centre, 191 Bay, The Hub, Pinnacle One Yonge Commercial and so on will not be built for the next 10-20 years or ever?

Not that I'm complaining, just wondering what your thoughts are on any of that ever coming to fruition?
With an immigration target of 500,000 a year, with the majority of those settling in the GTA, there will always be a demand for future office space. It's just hard to predict when a critical mass will warrant another major tower. Last year I would have been more pessimistic, but I write this now in an office full of people, so things have certainly changed in the last couple of months.

@wmedia Are you and your colleagues in the office 5 days a week? Most people are in a hybrid office/home schedule. If that stays in place, and experts agree it will, we'll be waiting a long time until another big office tower gets off the ground downtown.

Last edited:
@wmedia Are you and your colleagues in the office 5 days a week? Most people still are in a hybrid office/home schedule. If that stays in place, and most experts agree it will, we'll be waiting a long time until another big office tower gets off the ground downtown.
I'm in the office 5 days a week now. I'd say the average with others in my department is 4 days a week. Fridays are still pretty quiet. My wife's company has also just called people back 4 days a week (it was 2 days... then 3 days... then 4 days). You can see the direction it's heading. I'd be amazed if we ever go back to everyone being in 5 days a week though. 4 days seems to work for us. Anything less was a shit-show (for us).

I wouldn't be surprised if a number of the planned proposals go residential or mixed residential-office. The real estate market is still a-go-go even if the demand for specialized office space is not.

Word on the street is commercial property devs, landlords and investors are lobbying hard to force people back to the office.
With an immigration target of 500,000 a year
1.2 million.

So it looks like unfortunately more money will be wasted on office towers.

I'm in the office 5 days a week now. I'd say the average with others in my department is 4 days a week. Fridays are still pretty quiet. My wife's company has also just called people back 4 days a week (it was 2 days... then 3 days... then 4 days). You can see the direction it's heading. I'd be amazed if we ever go back to everyone being in 5 days a week though. 4 days seems to work for us. Anything less was a shit-show (for us).

Word on the street is commercial property devs, landlords and investors are lobbying hard to force people back to the office.

1.2 million.

So it looks like unfortunately more money will be wasted on office towers.
Ahh gotta love employers who call back their employees for no reason but to justify lease payments and for bosses to watch their employees because they have nothing better to do and it makes them feel like big shots again. Despite countless studies showing productivity increases with hybrid work. But I digress, those living in the dinosaur age will never learn.

On a side note, i know it's been discussed but I cant help but think the Union Station Bus Terminal has been underbuilt every time I walk by the terminal under Phase 1. While it's true GO Expansion will reduce GO Bus needs, i've been seeing buses laying over all around downtown because there's simply a lack of bus lay-by space. Literally Queen's Quay, Bay St, York St, heck even Lake Shore Blvd E are always parked up with buses. And it's not like we're seeing less service providers who want to utilize the bus terminal with new services either.

Ok, I was just thinking about how a PATH route would go. And workers going from one building to the other.
They'll either go over deck or under the tracks.There will be no separate underground PATH route I am aware of. Hope this helps!

Back