• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
If Batman is right... this is a very convenient location: it IS north of the Gardiner, and is in fact right up against Union Station. This is the parking lot immediately across Bay from the Air Canada Centre. It is also directly south of the GO Bus terminal once one has passed under the tracks. Finally, it is also immediately west of the condos at 18 Yonge, so it may need to be entirely covered and sound-proofed.

What I wonder is whether it would need to be (at least) a double-decker terminal, with platforms on more than one level? Surely with the amount of space required on the site for office tower lobby, loading docks, other parking, etc., that buses here might need to be accommodated over two or more levels... possibly below the surface?

So yes, how long until we have someone other than Batman with details?

If true this could be a fantastic opportunity to utilize the area under the tracks. just a thought... they could have the area under the tracks as the waiting area and boarding area for buses. The buses could enter via an entrance off Bay or Lakeshore and exit via the existing GO Bus terminal exit.
Stairs/elevators could be built leading up to an easterly extended Union station train shed with an underground link to the TTC as well.

if only...

I'm hearing bus terminal with office tower on top coming sooner than later.

Here's my guess ... bus terminal soon - office tower later when it makes sense.

No need for them to take place at the same time I figure!

The 1000 de la Gauchetiere in Montreal, also owned by SITQ, has a bus terminal in its base. It's a fantastic concept and functions very efficiently. A huge number of busses pop in and out of the terminus with very little disruption to activities on the surface and is easily accessed by other transit modes, all linked via the underground city. I always thought a similar bus terminal should have been built under Union Station (instead of a mall) but having it as this site will work just as well if pedestrian connections to Union are improved.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminus_Centre-Ville_(AMT)

Here's a plan of the terminal:
http://www.amt.qc.ca/docs/pdf/equipement/plan_TCV_aout2008.pdf

It is worth a visit because it works so well.

Last edited:
If it was The Joker then we would have more reason to be skeptical. In the Southcore: Delta Hotel and Office Tower thread there was an article posted that mentions a new office tower south of the tracks. The article did not mention specifically where, which would leave three potential sites: Southcore block, Ice block, and 45 Bay St. Perhaps the article was referring to 45 Bay St?

Last edited:
If it was The Joker then we would have more reason to be skeptical. In the Southcore: Delta Hotel and Office Tower thread there was an article posted that mentions a new office tower south of the tracks. The article did not mention specifically where, which would leave three potential sites: Southcore block, Ice block, and 45 Bay St. Perhaps the article was referring to 45 Bay St?

That article was quoting the president of GWL Realty who is building Southcore, so I'm fairly certain that was the office development that he was referring to in the article, not 45 Bay.

WhipperSnapper on SSP mentioned that he had heard that the project would be built in phases. Knowing that the bus terminal is proposed seems consistent with that, e.g. phase I: underground parking garage, phase II: bus terminal and retail, phase III: office tower

Well, egg on my face. I skimmed through that article and just noted the part that was in bold font and did not notice that it was the GWL president stating that.

I believe that the design for 45 Bay that we have seen was a "massing concept" rather than a construction-ready design. Whatever does get built there will probably not look much like the existing renders, especially if a bus terminal is incorporated into the podium/basement levels.

LOL

None of us use our real names. However in Batman's case, the fact that he writes his posts "in character", does tend to give credence to the fact that he is indeed off his meds.

None of us? I wish more people here would use their real names, and stop hiding behind "usernames".

If Batman is right... this is a very convenient location: it IS north of the Gardiner, and is in fact right up against Union Station. This is the parking lot immediately across Bay from the Air Canada Centre. It is also directly south of the GO Bus terminal once one has passed under the tracks. Finally, it is also immediately west of the condos at 18 Yonge, so it may need to be entirely covered and sound-proofed.

What I wonder is whether it would need to be (at least) a double-decker terminal, with platforms on more than one level? Surely with the amount of space required on the site for office tower lobby, loading docks, other parking, etc., that buses here might need to be accommodated over two or more levels... possibly below the surface?

So yes, how long until we have someone other than Batman with details?

The current GO bus terminal is just an interim terminal, until they build a proper terminal. I have a feeling if this rumour is true, that GO will move their buses there as well.

and I have a feeling that we may be getting -2- more office towers - Southcore plus 45 Bay..........:cool:

/and the beat goes on......

Back