GrinTO:

Yes and no I suppose - in the sense that some of the proposals by themselves have enough merit on its' own. 60 Richmond E by Teeple is another example (incidentally, another TCHC project).

AoD

Grin, the Canadian Architect Awards are given specifically to an unrealized project. That's their "niche" within the pantheon of architectural awards. But your point is well taken, from my research on the awards over the years, about half those in the Toronto area never got built (and thank God, in some cases!).

So for instance, 31A Parliament Street won an award in 2007, for a great little project in the Distillery District, which afterwards sank from public notice without trace. I'd like to see it built, but it's quite a few years on, and no word.

Archivist, are you referring to that 3-4 storey office/commercial building that was to go on the south side of the driveway into the Distillery off of Parliament? That was a great little proposal.

I do feel bad for WestOne and N1/N2 owners who will lose their views to this proposal though ~

I hope you also felt bad for those HVE owners with west views when West One went up directly across Spadina, and Montage owners when Luna was built, and Matrix owners when Apex was built. All of these, by the way, are closer to each other than the TCHC tower will be to West One.

not sure if these were posted before, from the above article...

CA-12012009-BLOK-aerial_fmt.jpeg

CA-12012009-BLOK-mid%20garden_fmt.jpeg

It's interesting to see that it has to take public funds to generate a unique and interesting buildgin compared to the more conservative towers (ie. privately funded) already built.

Wouldn't the 'pop out' balconies block off light or become a bit intrusive to the unit below?

Especially the unit that are surrounded by 4 of these balconies. It will never see light again!

It also means having useable balconies, though. Cheers to a functional balcony design!

It's interesting to see that it has to take public funds to generate a unique and interesting buildgin compared to the more conservative towers (ie. privately funded) already built.

Indeed, and whenever someone complains about architecture on a private tower there's always a response that the costs are substantial. When big money is available at a prominent downtown intersection development, the architecture still isn't that impressive.

Wouldn't the 'pop out' balconies block off light or become a bit intrusive to the unit below?

Especially the unit that are surrounded by 4 of these balconies. It will never see light again!

These units face west, with protected views over parkland, and will get full late day sun and sunsets.

do we want to start taking bets now about these quirky oversized balconies and 7 floors of indoor green space actually making it to reality? This is such a promising and exciting design... it would be sad to end up disappointed by some watered down version.

Last edited:
If the CityPlace residents are going to get upset about anything, they should be upset that these buildings are far better looking than any of theirs. Losing views to such buildings should be an honour, they're easily the best looking designs in that whole area.

Back