Is There a new design of the building yet? I am curious what it would look like.

Dont get it...It takes over a year for a re-design, how about the schools the community centre, the day-care, why is all this on hold and not under construction.:confused::mad:....“Something Fishy Here”

The hold up isn't so much a design issue. TCHC is thinking about selling the property to a private developer and using the money to fix up public housing elsewhere in the city. In order for TCHC to eliminate any financial risk with this project, there needs to be a certain amount of density, and if they cant get that density its not worth building for them. The schools and community centre will still be required if a private developer takes over the site though, and the board is currently pushing the city to build the school asap.

Whats up with this:confused:...Looks like they are spliting it into, three buildings now.
Wonder what the area residents think of this...better views = more density.

RESIDENTIAL DEVELOPMENT, SCHOOLS, COMMUNITY CENTRE
Proj: 9111794-4
Toronto, Metro Toronto Reg ON
PREPARING PLANS

Railway Lands, Block 31, Bathurst St, Fort York Blvd, M6A
$50,000,000 est

Note:
This project has been placed on hold. Schematic planning is under review. Owner is seeking city council rezoning approvals. The project scope will be finalized when the project proceeds. Schedules for working drawings are undetermined. Tender and construction schedules have not been set. Further update early 2012.

Project:
geothermal heating system; proposed development of mixed-use buildings. This block may include construction of two multi-unit residential buildings, a seniors apartment building, schools, and a community centre building with a daycare component.

Pic taken June 27, 2011

QwADl.jpg

The hold up isn't so much a design issue. TCHC is thinking about selling the property to a private developer and using the money to fix up public housing elsewhere in the city. In order for TCHC to eliminate any financial risk with this project, there needs to be a certain amount of density, and if they cant get that density its not worth building for them. The schools and community centre will still be required if a private developer takes over the site though, and the board is currently pushing the city to build the school asap.
Does this mean that the tchc building may not be going up at all?

Does this mean that the tchc building may not be going up at all?

Correct.

The project is not affordable for TCHC to go through with it. They want to sell the land and use the money to repair existing housing stock.

Contrary to what has been said around here, Cityplace residents are not to blame for this project not going through. There was a group against the project, but the residents association itself was all for it. The two school boards are also a factor in pushing TCHC out because they want their schools built, and TCHC would have to wait for money in order to start construction. The boards want the schools built immediately.

Correct.

The project is not affordable for TCHC to go through with it. They want to sell the land and use the money to repair existing housing stock.

Contrary to what has been said around here, Cityplace residents are not to blame for this project not going through. There was a group against the project, but the residents association itself was all for it. The two school boards are also a factor in pushing TCHC out because they want their schools built, and TCHC would have to wait for money in order to start construction. The boards want the schools built immediately.

That's interesting, and if that's the case, I wonder where all the negativity towards having a tower there came from?

I guess city place owners can rejoice knowing that tchc won't be messing around in the area and potentially decreasing property value and increasing crime etc. But do not seek solace since a private company may very well build another 50storey skyscraper to block views? Wonder why concord city place did not take ownership of this block?

I guess city place owners can rejoice knowing that tchc won't be messing around in the area and potentially decreasing property value and increasing crime etc.

Yes, those awful people who have problems that make them unable to be wealthy home owners will be somewhere else. What a victory. People with good paying jobs, good educations, and good health can unite rejoicing in this. Kids born to parents without a lot of money can be sent back to where they belong... places where they can be surrounded by problems and have diminished futures.

Note: For those unable to see sarcasm in my post let me make it clear... I am being sarcastic.

I guess city place owners can rejoice knowing that tchc won't be messing around in the area and potentially decreasing property value and increasing crime etc. But do not seek solace since a private company may very well build another 50storey skyscraper to block views? Wonder why concord city place did not take ownership of this block?

Well, Cityplace is still going to have the TCHC building beside Parade, so they can't avoid rubbing shoulders with the poor, while walking Fido in the park. Does it really effect property values? If so, somebody better tell the folks who bought into Five St. Joeseph, Market Wharf, The Berczy, Radio City, Pace, Milan Residences, Pure Spirit, 501 Yonge, Aura and 500 Sherbourne, to name just a few. SUCKERS!

According to a city staff report, the Affordable Housing Commmittee just washed its hands of some projects TCHC was supposed to build in the railway lands. They just walked away from it. They decided on June 16 of this year they don't have any money.

Also, lol that this sentiment still exists:

I guess city place owners can rejoice knowing that tchc won't be messing around in the area and potentially decreasing property value and increasing crime etc.

Last edited:
Also, lol that this sentiment still exists:

Yeah to bad, i was looking foward to the TCHC development, it was a nice design and a good mix for the area..now who knows, hopefully we will get the schools, community centre/daycare.
I wonder if Concord Adex bought this land back.

Last edited:

Back