well, they are interesting, but I certainly wouldn't want either on my front lawn....

Awesome stuff. I gotta go see these when they're all done. So cool looking. The spider-ish one reminds me of this other piece of public art of spiders I've seen. I think it might've been in London, England. Not sure now.

Edit: http://www.flickr.com/photos/smartvital/274120103/

That is what I was talking about.

Is this permanent, or just temporary installations?

Last edited:
well to me these things look like :

thing 1 - golum (sp) from Lord of the Rings (I want precious ... ),
thing 2 - alien from War of the Worlds.

They scare me.

The silver person thingy reminds of Terminator 2 when the T-1000 takes the shotgun shell to the head and it just explodes (but miracuosly reforms)

Doom (circa 1995 ... not a gamer but did a lot of slacking during first year) was the first thing that came to mind.

found this at Daily Commercial News....looks like phase 2 & 3 may be starting late summer....

CONDOMINIUM TOWERS, OFFICE AND RETAIL BUILDING Proj: 9057338-8

Toronto, Metro Toronto Reg ON NEGOTIATED/WORKING DRAWINGS
Clear Spirit, 55 Mill St, The Distillery District, M5A 3C4
$200,000,000 est

Start: August, 2009 Complete: October, 2011

Note: Sales and Marketing are underway. Working drawings are underway. Completion is anticipated late Summer, 2009. Const Mgr will secure a Gen Cont July/August, 2009. Schedules for Sub trade tender and construction will be finalized Summer, 2009. Further update mid-June, 2009.
Project: concrete foundation, cast-in-place concrete structural frame, fuel fired heating system, proposed construction of 40-storey, 364-unit condo building, a 35-storey, 305-unit condo building, and a three to four-storey office and retail building.
Scope: 69,139 m²; 40 storeys; 2 storeys below grade; 3 structures; 669 units; parking for 1090 cars; 14,921 m²
Development: New
Category: Apartment bldgs; Commercial offices; Retail, wholesale services

They scare me.

My daughter makes me go as far away as possible from the first one as I take her to day care. It freaks her out if I try to get close. A few more days and she'll probably be wanting to climb on it.

Bar none my favourite piece of public art installed in the city of Toronto in recent memory!

Back