1 St. Thomas isn't an example of repurposing anything, whereas the Distillery contains North America's largest surviving collection of Victorian industrial architecture.

1 St. Thomas repurposed a derelict block.

Rack House 'M' was out of scale with the surrounding set of earlier buildings, such as the ones that include the Young Centre.

Right...and the 40 storey condo isn't out of scale?

An even greater design has removed it!

lol

So that's it? Anything Aa designs must automatically be the the best possible design solution available?

Last edited:
lol

So that's it? Anything Aa designs must automatically be the the best possible design solution available?

Have you forgotten that you've debating with the same person that earnestly talks of Peter Clewes as though he were a deity?

Well, syn, if you want the best results go with the strongest talent.

If you're going to compare the emerging Distillery redevelopment to other places in the city, then you might as well compare it to the best - redevelopments of roughly equal creative value that have either already happened or are underway - Bridgepoint; Massey Tower; Renaissance ROM; Transformation AGO; the Donnelly CCBR building ...

1 St. Thomas repurposed a derelict block.

The Distillery has actual buildings to work with.

Right...and the 40 storey condo isn't out of scale?

The condo towers are perfectly in scale with other condo towers adjacent to other historic Toronto buildings, and taken as a whole the mostly horizontal mass of the Distillery heritage buildings plays nicely with the vertical mass of the additions ... with The Great Man's podium buildings ( including the transformation that's taking place where Rack House 'M' once stood ) mediating delightfully between the two, and serving to expand the characteristic Victorian-era network of pedestrian walkways.

You might be thinking of U Condos. There were some older buildings removed for 1 St. Thomas from what I recall.

I think you're thinking of the Minto development. I distinctly remember parking on the gravel parking lot that used to occupy 1 St. Thomas' lot, and I'm almost positive that parking lot predated the proposal

Some pictures to diffuse the tension -

Aug 22:

rdT4y.jpg

VeY54.jpg

IBkq9.jpg

J37Xv.jpg

Avi8c.jpg

I thought it was just a trick of the light on the different angles but it sure looks like every other floor they are alternating between opaque and clear glass on the balconies. I kinda wish they'd done the whole thing in the opaque glass.

Yeah, that would look good too. But I think this might result in something of a basket-weave effect like there is on Market Wharf.

There is something very, very sensual about the recent crop of aA projects. Thanks for all the shots you've brought us today sMT.

AoD

Your very welcome
Thank the city for being so damn walkable :)

Back